bad feelings

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ro1974, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

good saying and expernation/ most good dealers from vcoins say it is a real because wear is natural

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

wear is a natural proces/ iff the coin is under ground it thosent get the same wear under get it more wear of up more/ get more water
    from raining/ a coin can t even get the same wear both sites/ both sites are never perfect!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

do men see casting bubbles to

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

To be honest I am uncertain on this one. I don't see casting bubbles which would be a telltale sign that it is cast. On the other hand it is apparently in near pristine condition except for the odd wear pattern. So, I don't know. I think you've received good advice above about having David Sear check it out.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

You have to be patient... It takes time for people to find and reply to your thread.

As for authenticity, I honestly have no idea. It doesn't stand out as fake yet there is still a possibility that it is.

If I had to guess, I would say it's authentic but has been heavily doctored/smoothed on both the obverse and reverse (this counts as damage and usually reduces a coin's numismatic value).

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sorry @ro1974 but it appears fake to me too. For your own peace of mind, you should send it to Sear. I don't think he is very expensive.

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

You paid €800 for a coin and are hoping anonymous users of CoinTalk can make you feel that your coin is authentic?

And you're upset you didn't get an immediate answer?

Perhaps you should consider sending your coins for a professional opinion like David Dear or NGC.

9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

It's suppertime here on the East Coast of the US. Some of our Forum members may be grilling burgers. ;) Where are you, Ro? Do you live in Europe?

kountryken likes this.
  10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I see what appears to be evidence of striking on the letters of the legend. I can't tell you if it is real (i.e. ancient) with any degree of accuracy and neither can anyone else on here. All I can say is;

If it were my coin and I were examining it;
    • The surfaces would not bother me
    • The wear would not bother me
    • The style would not bother me
    • I see no reason to doubt the coin
    So really it might be worth asking. Why do you think it is suspect? Specifically.

Where did you buy it from?

Also Ro, relax my friend. Remember this site is for having fun with fellow collectors... it's not an authentication service ;) Have patience and wait for people to weigh in and *bump* the thread every day or two if you don't get replies. People here are nice and willing to help but getting mad at people for not responding fast enough is unlikely to help.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think David Sear would be better :)

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Heard nothing but positive things about David Vagi and Barry Murphy chimes in here from time to time. I'm anti slab but they won't encapsulate something they think is a fake. It is a least a professional opinion in mind.

I am not trying to kick up a debate or dictate how someone should collect.

13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Enough with the passive-aggressive guilt trips and drama, alright? It's off-putting. Seriously, it is.

You're among friends; don't treat us like this.

14. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Agreed. This is a free forum for hobbyists to congregate and enjoy each others company, opinions, and collections. It’s not an authentication service that needs to respond immediately to the whims of any members.

Most members here are more than eager to help with attribution though. Authentication and valuation fall further down the totem pole and rightfully so.

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Most often @ro1974 is a nice guy. Friday/saturday evenings may be sometimes challenging for him though. One just has to wait until sunday morning to post an answer :D

Q

ro1974, Kentucky and Curtisimo like this.
  16. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

Ryro .... I believe that the OP's mother-tongue may not be English, so you might have to explain what 'chillax' means in your post.

Kentucky and Ryro like this.
  17. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I don't see any explicit signs that this is cast, so my vote is authentic.

With that said, the obverse is a little mushy, and with the thick fake patina a lot of surface issues could be covered up. My best guess is this coin is a real version that has been burnished heavily on the obverse, then had a thick fake patina added. JHMO, but this is not a coin I add to my collection, real or otherwise.

Curtisimo likes this.
  18. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

OK, here's my two cents worth. The appearance of the obverse invites suspicion because the relief has a different surface texture than the rest of the coin. The edge of the coin looks unusually squared-off (perpendicular) to the rest of the coin. What is the weight of this coin? Weight is important. Send the coin to David Sear or NGC.

19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

idk on the coin ro... NGC or Sear with it..send a money order if you haven't got a credit card...some of us understand bout that OCD thang...:)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I couldn't spend 800 Euro on a coin if I was unsure of it's authenticity.
    Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

TypeCoin971793, Jay GT4 and Okidoki like this.
  21. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

This is an exercise in futility. A bad fake can be identified from a picture. A good fake can ONLY be identified in hand by someone with a great deal of experience. Does it build confidence in the coin if you learn that this doesn't seem to be a bad fake?

Jay GT4, Okidoki, Kentucky and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted