bad dream: wheat cent with two tails

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by J.C. O'Connell, Mar 2, 2015.

1. last night I had a bad dream. In the dream I found a wheat Lincoln cent that had two tails, no obverse. At first I thought I might have a valuable rarity but upon close inspection I could see it was two halves of two separate coins joined together. What a letdown. It got me wondering though, has anybody ever seen a real coin with two head or two tails made this way???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

4. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Your mind in a dream state is trying to tell you something. Possibly a reverse wheat with a DD that you have in your collection, but have since overlooked.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

has anybody ever seen a real coin with two head or two tails made this way???

What do you mean 'real'? Produced by the mint ?~ NO.

Produced by man ( Post mint damage)?
    Yes, they are called magician coins. A machinist lathe is used to turn down one side of the coin ( but not the rim) creating a depression that will accept another coin that has turned down ( including the rim) so it fits into the depression. Glue, silver solder can be used for the cheap ones, the best use a threaded edge so they can be screwed together.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. yes, the one in my dream was a man made one for "magic" or other tricks. I guess its impossible for a mint to make one unless they used two reverse dies at the same time in error. Is that even possible?

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Also called spy coins... I have one that has a compartment for a micro sd card. Sold on the web...

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You had a dream about a Lincoln cent with two tails?

Umm.......Okay.......When was the last time you took a vacation?

Chris;)

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The hammer and anvil die holders take different size die bases ( intentionally so such could not occur without a lot of human deliberate action).

10. EagleEyez

EagleEyez Hoarding coinage since 1974

11. Regiomontanus

Regiomontanus New Member

Yes. I have an actual Lincoln Cent, dated 1919, that is heads/heads. It, too, looks like it was joined together because of a line that goes around the edge of the "whole" coins. I have it as a curiosity wondering why anyone would go to the trouble to merge two cents together.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes there are at least four of them. One is a two headed 1859 indian head cent. The others are three Washington quarters with two reverses that came out of the San Francisco Mint in the 1970's. The Indian is theorized to have been the result of an obverse die blank that got turned down to the shape of a reverse die and paired with another obv die. (Probably with help from a mint employee) The quarters came from the mint during a time when a lot of deliberate errors were being produced at the S mint, so they were almost certainly done deliberately as well.

The major reason coins like this can't occur without help is because after the dies are hubbed they are put in a lathe and cut to the proper shape. Anvil dies have a long neck so the can push the coin up out of the collar after striking. Hammer dies have a short neck.

If you put to hammer dies in the press the planchet is too far down in the collar for the hammer die to reach it. And even if it can the short necked hammer die in the anvil position is too short to push the coin up and out of the collar.

If two anvil dies are put in the press it can strike the coin just fine, but after the hammer die retracts, because of its long neck there isn't enough clearance between the hammer die and the top of the collar for the feed fingers to push the coin away. Also once the reverse die rises the coin is now again caught between the dies and can't be pushed aside.

Argenteus Fossil and paddyman98 like this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Magicians do this as trick coins.

14. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen an magician coin threads?

15. Powerws

Powerws New Member

I have just found a wheat penny with two tails. I found it going through my grandfathers coin collection. He passed 10 years ago and had been collecting coins his whole life. He was born in 1918. I don't know how much it would be worth. It was in a small bag that was labeled," Backside of a penny on both sides"

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Welcome to CoinTalk..

Suggestion. Start a new thread. Pictures are really needed or your coin does not exist.

Read all the posts on this thread and you will probably understand better as what you may have.
    An altered Cent.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Or slight chance it is a full brockage. Need to see a good picture, in its own thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted