Bactrian Coins Anyone

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Nov 2, 2015.

1. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I did not find many posts here about Bactrian (or Baktrian) coins, so I thought I might start one. I have a very small collection of coins, but it is growing and this is one of my favorites. The elephant skin headdress grabbed me

Baktria.jpg
    AKTRIA, Greco-Baktrian Kingdom. Demetrios I Aniketos. Circa 200-185 BC. AR Tetradrachm (33mm, 17.00 g, 12h). Diademed and draped bust right, wearing elephant skin headdress / Herakles standing facing, crowning himself, holding club and lion skin; monogram to inner left. Bopearachchi 1F; cf. Bopearachchi & Rahman 124 (fourrée); SNG ANS 190. Near EF, minor spots of roughness on obverse. Struck on a broad flan. Ex: CNG 93 5/22/2013

The unusual elephant headdress worn by Demetrius recalls that of Alexander the Great on early tetradrachms of Ptolemaic Egypt, referring to his conquests in northern India. Demetrius campaigned in India while serving a long apprenticeship under his father, Euthydemus I, as recorded on a dedicatory stone recently discovered north of Ai Khanoum in Afghanistan. After succeeding to the throne, he launched an invasion of Northern India that extended Greek control into modern Pakistan. The historian Strabo claims "more tribes were subdued by [Demetrius] than Alexander." He apparently made Taxila in the Punjab his capital, and during his reign the Greco-Bactrian kingdom seems to have reached its greatest extent. The cause of his death is unknown. His son Euthydemos II seems to have reigned for a short time before his kingdom fragmented, with his ministers and/or relations Agathocles, Antimachus, and Panteleon claiming portions of it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hooo boy, that is one Bactrian coin I'd really like to own. You sure nabbed a beauty! Congratulations :)

4to2centBC and Ancientnoob like this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice => that's a very sweet addition, my new coin-friend!!

Ummm, I don't have an AR example, but I hope that you'll accept my AE winner?!

Demetrius I Trichalkon with ELEPHANT
    200-185 BC
    Diameter: 29.5 mm
    Weight: 12.61 grams
    Bactrian Kings, Demetrius I, bronze Attic trichalkon of:
    Obverse: Head of elephant with bell hanging from neck
    Reverse: Caduceus.
    Reference: Bopearachchi-16, Mitchiner-1086, SNG ANS 209

elephant a.jpg elephant rotate.jpg

:rolleyes:

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Love the headdress on the OP coin! The entire piece exhibits the highest artistic style.

4to2centBC likes this.
  6. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Agreed--that's the same quality of examples I've seen in museums. Mine isn't quite as good, but I like it all the same:
    [​IMG]
    Menander, AR Drachm, 160-145 BC, Taxila-Pushkalavati Mint (I need to take a new picture)

7. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Nice coins everyone! I own no Bactrian coins, so have none to share:(

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

[​IMG]
    Euthydemos II - c.190-171 BC - Nickel didrachm
    24mm diameter, 7g.
    Apollo bust / tripod
    monogram to left
    " Of King Euthydemos"

Agathokles - c.171-160 BC - Nickel drachm
    19mm diameter, 3.3g.
    Dionysos bust / Panther touching vine
    monogram behind
    " Of King Agathokles"

My favorite Baktrians are my two nickels. There is a third one of Pantaleon that I lack but it is like the Agathokles. Nickel coins don't surive burial all that well so many look porous like mine. Little is known about these including their value in relation to coins of other metals. The photo is from my page on the subject but there is really nothing there worth reading.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nickel? I didn't know (or read and forgot) that nickel was used for any ancient coins. Interesting!

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Curious? ... do I get to play this cat?

=> India, Pushkalavati AE Square

elephant & lion.jpg

:cigar:

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The other Baktrians of note are the squares in silver and bronze. Both of mine have bilingual legends and elephants.

Apollodotos silver
    og1300bb2908.jpg

Menander AE (My wife collects bells and likes this one as well as Steve's.)
    og1360bb1300.jpg

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Super posts!!

......and the OP is absolutely phenomenal !!!

I just have this modest offering of Meander:
    meander, bactrian kingdom.jpg

13. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Every time we have one of these threads, everybody seems to have an example of the type. "Show us your Eid Mar" and everyone seems to have one. Sadly i have no Bactrians. The OP coin is spectacular. Much amaze!

14. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Very Interesting type.

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

None here. I like most of the coins posted, but that OP coin is phenomenal.

16. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

WOW! There are a lot of stunning Bactrian coins here, but that OP takes the cake! Here are some of my Bactrian coins in my collection:

Archebios Dikaios Nikephoros (75-65 BC) Æ Quadruple Unit (Bopearachchi 13C; SNG ANS 1315–6)

Obv: Diademed and draped bust of Zeus right, with scepter over shoulder
    Rev: Palms and piloi of the Dioskouroi; monogram in exergue

[​IMG]

Baktria: Apollodotos I Drachm (Bopearachchi-4F; SNG ANS 328-336)

Obv: Sacred elephant with decorative belt and Greek legend - ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΠΟΛΛΟΔΟΤΟΥ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ
    Rev: Bull with Kharoshti legend - MAHARAJASA TRATARASA APALADATASA

[​IMG]

Baktrian: Antialkidas (115-95 BCE) Hemiobol (Bopearachchi-17C; Hoover-263)

Obv: Bust of Zeus right, thunderbolt over left shoulder, Greek legend on three sides - BAΣIΛEΩΣ / NIKHΦOPOY / ANTIAΛKIΔOY
    Rev: Caps and palms of the Dioscuri, monogram at left, Kharoshthi legend on three sides: maharajasa / jayadharasa / amtialikidasa

[​IMG]

Baktrian: Philoxenos (125-110 BCE) AE (Bopearachchi-10F, SNG-ANS 1207)

Obv: City goddess standing left, holding cornucopiae in left hand, making gesture with outstreched right hand; monogram at left of feet; Greek legend around - BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANIKHTOY / ΦIΛOΞENOY
    Rev: Humped Zebu bull standing right; Σ below; Kharosthi legend around - maharajasa apadihatasa / philasinasa

[​IMG]

Baktrian: Lysias Aniketos (130-125 BC) Hemi-obol (BOP-8A; SNG-ANS 1041; MACW-1838)

Obv: Bust of Herakles right, with club over shoulder
    Rev: Elephant right; monogram and Σ below

[​IMG]

17. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Some random less common Indo-Greeks:

Diodotus II:
    DiodotosIIArtemisWeb.jpg

Agathokles:
    AgathoklesWeb.jpg

Dionysios:
    DionysiosWeb.jpg

Euthydemos I:
    EuthydemosIWeb.jpg

Theophilos:
    TheophilosWeb.jpg

18. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

I was waiting for your post THCoins :D

19. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

applause.gif

Ancientnoob likes this.
  20. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Looks like a bunch of subliminal Republican messages on election day to me.
    Mettellus rev.jpg
    nice coins and pictures, I need to improve my photo techniques

21. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Bactria is the fertile region between the Hindu Kush and the Amu Darya centered on Balkh (the ancient Bactra) in northern Afghanistan. While most coins of the Indo-Greeks (those shown in this thread with purely Greek legends) and some successors such as the Yueh-Zhi, are indeed "Bactrian", most of the Indo-Scythian coins (bilingual Greek and Kharosthi) were issued south of the Hindu Kush (thus the "Indo-") in Arachosia and Gandhara, an area beginning near the Afghanistan/ Pakistan border and extending into northern India. A lot of dealers like to blur the line because "Bactria" better entices Hellenocentric collectors than "Pakistan". In my opinion, cool coins all! Just one of those pet peeves...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted