Backwards GTG: '25 peace & '47 walker

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Feb 12, 2016.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Thought I'd make it a little more challenging this time. Guess the grade from a mirror image... X2 IMAG0521_1_1_1.jpg IMAG0531_1_1.jpg IMAG0540_1_1.jpg IMAG0538_1_1.jpg IMAG0544_1_1.jpg kcul doog :troll:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The orientation of the coin is utterly meaningless, if you know how to grade. You could post them upside down, for all I care.

The first coin has a an average strike and decent luster, but there are too many marks for a gem grade. The eye appeal is somewhat negative because of the dark spotting (which is perfect natural, but unattractive). I'll calll it 64.

The second coin has an above average strike, and good luster, but again has too many marks (especially on the reverse). I'd call it 63 from your pictures, but because the luster is strong I wouldn't be surprised by a 64.

4. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Dang, I must be nuts to offer my HO after physics-fan3.14 has weighed in, but what the heck, it's a way for me to learn. I'm going with 65 on the Walker, but because of the chatter on the skirt wouldn't go more on that one. I would go 64 on the Peace dollar.
    Steve

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Cannot tell yet. Please clean the mirror.

6. Insider

You may be interested to know that one finalizer at a TPGS is said to grade a box from back to front (last coin to first coin) and often examines them UPSIDE DOWN - obverse first than reverse.

heavycam.monstervam and Paul M. like this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

Haha, my opinion is only my opinion, based on the photos provided ;)

heavycam.monstervam and Insider like this.
  8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Walker-65 (barely)
    Peace-64 reverse holds me back a bit

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  9. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

I think 65 on both of them

10. heavycam.monstervam

That's funny and a little disheartening at the same time, I would be very upset to learn I just spent $50 a coin on grading and the guy graded them all upside down...

Stevearino likes this.
  11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Reklaw = SM- 56

Ecaep = SM- 46

:)

micbraun, Paul M., medjoy and 5 others like this.
  12. heavycam.monstervam

I guess I could of squeegee'd the mirror with some Windex 1st:facepalm:

13. heavycam.monstervam

BTW I think Lady Liberty (Peace $) actually looks better facing right..... Grades posted tommorow evening-ish

14. Insider

That "guy" has a proven and respected record/place in numismatics and can grade rings around everyone here and probably 99.8% percent of the other TPGS professionals/major professional dealers in this country. I don't know why he even works anymore. Must love coins.

15. Paddy54

Right is wrong ,left is right Oh that's getting your ear pierced. Never mind :)

micbraun and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

Sometimes, our brain is so focused on the familiar image, and the art of the coin, that we overlook the details. By flipping it upside down (which is easier to do in real life than a mirror image ;) ) we can trick our brain into looking at something unfamiliar. I do this all the time with my coins. When you flip it upside down, you are no longer looking at a familiar image and your brain is forced to re-evaluate what you are looking at. Try it - you may find that you notice different marks or features that were previously "hidden" in the coin's design. By looking at it at a different angle, your brain doesn't know what to make of this "picture," and instead looks at what is actually in front of you.

Sometimes when I am trying to decide if I like a coin, or looking for problems with it, I'll flip it upside down and look only at the piece of metal, not the artwork in front of me.

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

18. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

In my opinion, your grades should be reverse.
    46 SM = Reklaw
    56 SM = Ecaep
    :smug:

19. heavycam.monstervam

W/o giving away the grade, I'll just say that this is one of the nicer peace dollars I've owned, surface pres on the obverse is outstanding

20. Paddy54

Hold them up to a mirror :)

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Where did they get the chairs that allow them to perform this feat?

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted