Backgrounds

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 17, 2019.

?

I'll save all three, but which do you like best?

1. Black

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Gradient

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. White

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

The gradient is the only one (for me) where the coin immediately draws my attention. With the other 2, I have to mentally subtract the background to focus on the coin. (Love your choice of coin for this demo!)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Agreed.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I voted for white. Many, if not most, website backgrounds are white, and thus your photo background effectly disappears, leaving 100% of the focus on your coin (as you demonstrate in the first post).

Whenever possible, all I want to see is your coin. I don't want to see a background.

As every good graphic designer will tell you: less is more.

Edit: of the three options you posted, I found the gradient background most distracting. Which probably isn't surprising since it's the busiest of the three.

micbraun and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not a racist, but I prefer the white.

Chris

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

White background as it does not compete with the coin at all and provides the most contrast.

8. lordmarcovan

My thoughts on the gradient were that because some coins look better against a light background and others against a darker one, the gradient lets you see it both ways.

It also gives some illusion of depth, but eschews the busier spotlight/reflection/shadow effects of the older templates I used.

I was also tempted to go with a "dark seascape" background but have restrained myself (except for this sample). Too busy and twiddly, I know. But fun.

Been having a lot of fun with the remove.bg tool.

[​IMG]

9. lordmarcovan

I'm probably gonna go with the gradient, but save versions of all three for each coin, so that I (or someone who buys one of my coins in the future), will have multiple options.

"Slab label" variant, too, where applicable.

cruqx4Tl60bvmpmPCdQE_Taras-label.png

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Good commentary on the current thinking/rationalization of Americans.

micbraun likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

*ahem*

Let's not stray, please.

CircCam likes this.
  12. PlanoSteve

Yeah, I'm still "all in" on the gradient. Comparing the 3 options, the black background makes the coin look darker & completely obliterates the edge.

The white background leaves the coin a little washed out, but worse, the edge looks like those GTG posts, where the poster blocks the slab, leaving only the tabs showing & no discernable edge. (Sometimes less really is less.) I still think the white is too harsh.

The gradient shows good contrast & the coin actually looks like it has an edge, almost 3-dimentional.

In the end, it's how each individual sees it & I prefer the gradient version.

There will always be a Jeannette Rankin...always! (& I'm not saying I'm the Jeannette)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

I agree with your take on it and favor the gradient. Those will likely become my primary display images for the set. But I'll keep all three versions.

zXghLgLqQym6DLpasovx_Hekte-label.png

dwhiz, PlanoSteve and BuffaloHunter like this.
  14. PlanoSteve

Wow, that's a beauty!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I have to say, I really hate white backgrounds. Most coins don't look good on a white background.

I also *really hate* pattern backgrounds, such as that seascape. It distracts from the coin, and you want the picture to be all about the coin.

I usually prefer a solid black background, because that shows the coin and isn't distracting. Dark coins can sorta get swallowed up in a pure black background, but bright silver or gold really looks good dressed in black. Kinda like a beautiful woman.

All that being said, for this particular coin, I think a subtle gradient actually looks really good. I wouldn't make that a standard or default, but for certain coins it looks cool.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

I agree with you most of the time about white backgrounds. That's my least favorite of the three simpler options shown here, but they can have their uses.

I recently abandoned my old "shadowbox" templates in favor of solid black. But I kept thinking a very subtle gradient like this could be effective.

You're right about the twiddly textured backgrounds, of course. They're usually too far over the top, and too distracting for default use. I still think they're fun to play around with, though.

17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

18. lordmarcovan

Yep, as mentioned, that's the tool I've been using to create them in the first place. Somebody on the Ancients forum pointed it out a while back, and it was a "Eureka!" moment for me.

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I use dark blue the most and like white with some coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted