Back to collecting coins and bullion (First Eagle)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sallent, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

For a few years I abandoned modern coin collecting and got into ancient coins, which was a lot of fun and I look back fondly on, but after getting to the point where I scratched that itch, I decided it was time for a fresh start and sold my collection off. After giving US stamps a try, and I'm still slowly collecting them, I decided I wanted to dip my feet back into another old hobby of mine, stacking precious metals.

As part of some recent purchases, I came across my first pre-33 gold coin sitting in the display case of a bullion dealer near my house. I'm guessing probably AU-55 or so? Anyway, I got it at melt value +1% since I've built a good relationship with the dealer and asked him to let me have a win as I felt I've earned one. I think the price was a good deal regardless of condition. I thought I'd show her off here since you guys might appreciate this stuff.

20220917_141227.jpg

20220917_141412.jpg

It looks better with the naked eye than it does with my cheapo phone camera. But either way, I am not getting this to try and grade or slab, just gold content and a little bit of fun factor of owning old gold, and being able to push the price down was appealing too. Enjoy!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

purdy eagle

Sallent likes this.
  4. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Sweet! That was a very good price, and choice, indeed. I'd at least encapsulate it something like an Air-tite.

Sallent likes this.
  5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

It's in a Lighthouse Quadrum Intercept 2x2 holder. That's the black material you see surrounding the coin. I photographed it through the holder.

6. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I go in spurts in my collecting as well as what I collect at the time. I started collecting Limited Edition Silver Proof Sets. The 2021 edition has 2 ASE's, one is Type One - W, and the other is Type Two - S. (I may have the mint backwards.) I looked all over to get the 2015 edition and thanks to a kind soul on Cointalk, I was told it wasn't issued.) In my early days of collecting, I saw an ad for "The Wild West Collection" The set had an 1882CC, 1883CC, and 1884CC. All 3 were graded MS65. I probably overpaid for it. NGC had put all three coins in one slab. I'm sure I overpaid for it at $1,500, but I knew I would never be able to get all three of the coins, let alone graded MS65.

Draft saved Draft deleted