Back in time...just for fun...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

What I appreciate about this forum is the level of numismatic knowledge shared by our more experienced members. It's amazing to think that some of them were collectors over 30 years ago, in the late 80s. Looking through old editions of the Celator magazine, I found traces of some of them. Long before the internet became popular and one of our favorite tools, they were already active on "social networks" at the time. I therefore present to you some souvenirs, hoping that they will make you smile in this period of time when there are a lot of bad news.

8BA865F2-593E-4CF3-B6DC-92723AA33023.jpeg
    @Barry Murphy in another life. Didn't know he can be reach by fax...by the way, what is a fax ?

7A6BAFD2-DC9A-420E-9655-3DDA5F30842E.jpeg

Frank Robinson as a Latin language teacher?

3542BA03-FF2F-4732-932A-D34DCEEDB797.jpeg

Is it our @John Anthony ? I didn't know he wrote this book ! Please excuse my ignorance...

A1DC5B7F-B952-4FEC-943D-BE4A6BED5384.jpeg

I don't think he's a member here, but just wanna tell you even if this guy won the contest, I'm pretty sure we'll never hear from him again...

7F556267-E1E6-4BF1-8E0C-A59052280B88.jpeg

Douglas ??? anyway @dougsmit we still enjoy your opinions 30 years later !

05F2D756-6FE5-4AD6-82DA-B4779A8DF3D3.jpeg
    I'm wondering if @Ed Snible bought some of these...

537F4B52-3E44-470C-BF01-325665BCA1CC.jpeg

Phillip Davis from Illinois ; anyone knows if he's related to @Volodya ?

3DE645F0-D762-4BD5-BE74-52F403D9F6F1.jpeg

And in conclusion : @Ken Dorney we all miss you. Will he be back someday or is it a life sentence ?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I'm still re-reading my copies of The Celator. It was a work of love for both Wayne and Kerry. I ran out of room so I had do divest copies, but I did save a few.

We as a community owe both gentleman a round of applause. I do miss it.

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm not that John Anthony. Anthony is only my middle name. I chose that as my CT handle before I knew about the book. However, it's a great book for beginning collectors - highly recommended, and sometimes you can find used copies on Amazon for only a few bucks.

6. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Agreed in spades.

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's really cool. A few CT famous names as well :)

8. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Ah! - I wondered initially if you were the same John Anthony, but figured he would have to be older. I don't know the book above, but used to read his column in the UK magazine "Coin Monthly" in the late 1970s. Being something of a hoarder, I was able to dig up an old copy there - July 1979 (!).

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

[​IMG]

Does everyone realize that this ad offers Black Sea Hoard fakes back when they were fooling most people. I have in my collection an original insert card making this same offer. I do wonder how many of these were sold and how many got refunded.

10. Robert Ransom

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

About 20 years ago, I sold all my back issues of the Celator except the ones that had my articles. I do not now have the one with my first article which was in the original newsprint version of the Celator but I do not now even recall the subject. I do have the two numbers of the 'Voice of the Turtle' magazine that had my articles from 1965 and 1966. Both magazines would publish anything as is evidenced by my embarrassing pieces.

12. Robert Ransom

At least you were published.

13. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Yeah, that's me. Before you ask, I have no idea what the controversy was. If anybody wonders, The Other Side column in The Celator is me too.

Phil Davis

DonnaML, Alegandron, akeady and 2 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    VolodyaJunior Member

Phil... “Junior Member”

LOL

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I second our John's recommendation on the Anthony book. It is not scholarly but full of fun information and well worth the price.

Broucheion likes this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Cool thread. I used to have a lot of stuff from the Frank L. Kovacs snail-mail auctions and I saved all of the brochures and price lists. Frank was instrumental in getting me started in the hobby.

17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great and fun. Love it

Q

18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

You are giving away my age shame on you. Thanks for the great memory thread. Be safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted