Back from NGC, GTG 1936 D 25c

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bqcoins, Aug 30, 2016.

1. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Just picked my shipment up today. In that shipment was this bad boy, purchased for a song from a dealer who thought the filled D was "ugly" and therefore not nearly as valuable as a clear D 1936. With some haggling and a bit of luck george was off to NGC the same day he made an appearance in my hand...Now he's back and you can give the assigned grade a guess. IMGP3969.JPG IMGP3971.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, too much friction & luster loss on obverse so AU-58. :cigar:

If by some chance :facepalm::rolleyes::jawdrop::( your coin is graded MS-62 or 63 (that's why dealers/collectors love the "Big 2" TPGS), I would sell it and run! ;)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I agree with @Insider but I'm going to guess they gave it a 62.

Insider likes this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It may be just the photography, but I'm seeing enough general "bagginess" - marks in sufficient number to make one wonder - to have doubts whether it's Mint State. Conversely, one can expect circulation to begin wearing these tiny marks off almost immediately - it's why you'll see few "baggy" AU's. The marks wear off first. Not sure where to go with it, as a result.

I'm tentatively at MS61-62 for it. Have a close look at the mint mark - I could envision this as a late die state of the known RPM for the date where the center - weakened by having been punched twice - breaks off. Maybe just wishful thinking but the MM seems a bit "wide."

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:rolleyes: NOPE! :oops:o_O IMHO...nope. This looks just like the "pushed-over" ejection doubled mint marks (shelf on one side) common on these coins.

:confused::jawdrop::facepalm::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: No, no, a thousand times no! Let's try some common sense here. When the surface of a coin has impact marks (from whatever the reason) the marks go INTO the surface. They are BELOW the area first affected by wear. Therefore they are NOT the first things to wear off! :smuggrin:

ToughCOINS likes this.
  9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I understand the desire of the TPGs to be lenient to key dates, but this coin has obvious wear and deserves an AU58 grade.

Insider likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

12. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

14. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

15. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

16. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

17. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

In my opinion, AU58. NGC may have called it MS61 though.

18. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm at AU58. I can see the wear on Washington's hair. You may have gotten lucky with a 61 though.

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

20. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Quite a few of you hit the nail on the head. When I sent it in I knew there was a tiny bit of wear on the hair in front of the ear and the very top of the eagle's breast. I was hoping for an Au58 (what I got) and hoping that the deep bag mark in front of Washington's nose or something I didn't see or overlook in my desire to purchase the coin didn't give it a details grade...it didn't. Whew. Now for a coin that I purchased for under $100 I feel I did very good, totally happy to pop this one into my registry set.

Attached Files:

21. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I see some wear so I'm calling it au58 nice coin. I need a 36 D and a 32 S to finish my BU set.

Draft saved Draft deleted