Back from a break purchase

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by britannia40, Jul 18, 2018.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

I had been gone about a year and had been focusing on my documents but I decided to dab back into coins a little and bought these yesterday along with a 10 Tael silver Bar (375. 2g).

1928 Sinkiang (Xinjiang) 10 Cash

CT38a.1b.a.jpg 1905 Kiangnan 10 cash
    CC138.1.e (1).jpg 1906 Hupeh (Hubei) 10 cash
    CC10j.5.b.jpg 1905 Sinkiang (Xinjiang) 5 Miscals
    CT6.0.c.jpg 1907 Empire 10 Cash
    CC10.4.c.jpg Xiangxin Gold Shop silver 10 Tael Bar ND, Golden Coin Trademark, Hong Kong
    HKB7.a.jpg

coin_nut, gxseries, Stork and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I don't collect bullion (old or new) but that bar is pretty cool.

britannia40 likes this.
  4. britannia40

Thanks. This will be my first bullion piece.

5. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

How old is the bar?

6. britannia40

I believe the bar goes from 1930-1960 based on other examples.

7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Those are the coolist things I've seen. Yeah I'm near a newbie but with creds. Awesome. And so good looking. Guessing these are exceptional. Thanks cuz i bet alot don't or have seen these examples. Talking about the bars only

britannia40 likes this.
  8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Got to return. Nice pieces

britannia40 likes this.
  9. britannia40

Thanks for the compliment.

I bought those with another group today. Here are the others. I also posted 2 groups in 2 seperate posts.

Chris

CC492b.a.jpg CC377.c.jpg CC379.k.jpg TT3m.g.jpg

gxseries likes this.
  10. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

I recently sold one of the Foo Kien Copper Coins in similar condition on eBay and it fetched a nice price...roughly $150 if I recall. Not sure what you paid for yours but thought I'd pass along the market rate on a coin that doesn't show up particularly often.

11. britannia40

Mark,

Thanks, yes I've watched these for a while. I only paid 65.

Chris

12. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Nice coins! I personally like the Fijian coins. (Fookien)

It just seems that the supply of various Chinese coins are just dropping. Of course there's plenty of common Qing dynasty copper coins and Guangdong smaller denomination silver coins but the rest just seem to be absurdly priced these days or just rarely pop up.

Almost tempted to offload my Chinese coins and see what that will fetch - there are some coins that I have not seen in the market for a long time.

13. britannia40

Yes I totally agree. Prices have increased. I have seen a lot of uncommon or scarce coins hit on the market but also with a unrealistic price tag.

I'm sitting at about 150 graded by NCG/PCGS and about 200 non-slabbed. These are a 1880-1949 heritage set I'm putting together for my daughter. I've tried to accumulate every province and variety I can get in copper and any silver ones I can get as available.

Chris

gxseries likes this.
  14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I can totally relate. I was lucky to have a head start but that was when prices of Chinese coins started to increase drastically. That was literally just a decade ago. (I'm getting old) Prior to that, damaged Chinese silver crown coins were sold as scrap metal!

At the same time, if you consider the population of China at 1+ billion and of a small fraction of them starts to show interest... In particular, the 1980s proof set is a good example. The baby boomers are cashed up to purchase the year they are born. Perhaps the demand is really there.

I have managed to pick up both copper and silver coins (where available) from most provinces. I don't really care too much about the grade as long as its genuine. Some of the damaged coins I own are also hard to upgrade so no regrets there. The last coin that I'm quite interested is Qing dynasty silver coin struck in Taiwan. I did miss it a couple of times - guess you can't win them all.

britannia40 likes this.
  15. britannia40

Yes ive heard the stories as well. Copper ones your to be thrown out to in the usa by dealers prior to the 90's from my understanding and that's how a lot of the major collectors massed the numbers they got.

I try to put together a AU-MS set for most and when scarce ones a lot less as necessary. I did keep a lot of my extras and damaged ones I just didn't grade them. I think the only reason I went the graded route was the number of counterfeits and the ease of resale when authenticated. I have learned the copper ones quite well the past 5 years and can tell most of the counterfeit pieces.

I have seen 1 silver Taiwan province piece recently for sale but they were both damaged. a 1890 10 cent for 600usd and

gxseries likes this.
  16. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

You are quite right about that - one bulk copper hoard that I bought came from a US seller. Worked out to be a dollar per coin on average. Some damaged and low grade coins but a single coin in that lot literally paid for itself and shipping back then. Today it's easily a 3 figure coin. There were some interesting coins in that lot too. I believe I still haven't cataloged some 10 cash from that lot - looked too common and didn't check for varieties.

The Taiwanese silver coin often escaped when I had a budget. The last time I was close to getting one was when I was in a dilemma of either getting a Kweichow antimony coin or a vf+ Taiwan 7.2 candareens. Think they were similar price. You can see how that is a difficult choice if you have to pick just one. The last time I saw Taiwanese silver for sale a couple of years ago was a holed example for 300usd. I think it's a bit too rich for me. That said, still don't regret over the antimony purchase. That's even more scarce!

britannia40 likes this.
  17. britannia40

I really want the empire 1911 1$ dragon coin, a Kweichow auto dollar and the sun yat sen war dragon 1$. those have been on my list awhile but out of the range I want to invest in.

Actually that 1933 red army 200 cash was pushing my limit but you just don't see them hit the market often and I didn't want to regret not getting it.

Generally I don't get duplicates of any of my coins unless its an upgrade or in High AU-Unc condition like the 10j.5 above. I have a lot of the Empire 1906-09 dragon 10 cash and 20 cash in AU-UNC (most of the varieties).

A major encompassing copper set was the goal for my daughters collection I just get the silver if its cheap enough and hits my appeal. with that said I do have a thing for the Tibet rupee's and the late Qing dynasty dragons.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I do remember the time when I was on a buying and selling spree. When I was on a hunt a while back, Soviet cash coins weren't that rare. I found the smaller denomination coins over priced and ended up getting the restruck version at around 10 dollars or so. Still find it weird that its plated steel. Why not just plain copper?

I ended up having 2 of the Soviet 200 and 500 cash each. Only problem that I have is that they are of distinct varieties and somewhat similar grade, hence I ended up keeping them both. Hate to think if I sold the scarcer variety. Would still be helpful to offload some 'duplicates'.

All the silver crown mentioned are just very high and demand. My personal favorite would be the early silver Fengtien coinage. Denomination surrounded by Manchu script - that looks quite neat. Chinese copper coins somehow doesn't quite inspire me - I find the brass / bronze alloy coins to have more interesting history.

19. britannia40

I've seen a lot of your coins you posted on the other site you have a nice wide collection. I unfortunately didn't start with Chinese coins until about 5 years ago. but I think ive been fairly fortunate and lucky with what i've got. I think ive only got about 6000$ invested in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted