Azores 5-reis, 1795- interesting overstrike

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Feb 21, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Here's another cheap-n'-cheerful cherrypick from a bulk bag. Cost me maybe 10-20 cents. It catalogs $7 in VG and $14 in Fine, but I think it has a "coolness quotient" beyond that.

(Portuguese) Azores 5 Reis, 1795, KM9.

It was overtstruck on an earlier coin. You can see a lot going on with the undertype here. The plate coin on the NGC/Krause page I linked to shows some pretty bold traces and ghosting as well- you can even read the undertype's 1776 date on that example!

You can see some of the undertype coin's date on mine, too, if you look above and to the left of the big "5". In fact, I'm pretty sure the ghost date here says "1776", as well!

Anybody know what the earlier type was? I havent fully researched that yet. When the earlier coin's design is known, it would be fun to see some of those transparent overlays, though I lack the skill and software to do those.

20180221_101000.jpg 20180221_101120.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I do like overstruck coins. They do have some character.

It would be 3 reales. Early Azores coins were overstruck and the face value is often doubled.

If the date is right, it would be this type

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces35270.html

serafino and Numismat like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Thanks! The undertype was remarkably similar looking to the overstrike, then. Neat!

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Very cool! My wife's family is from the Azores. She was actually interested in a coin I was looking at :p Thanks for that!

Mickey in PDX and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. PatAR

PatAR New Member

Love those big copper coins. Agree with gxseries on it being a Portugal 3 reis. I think that may be a 1776 under there. Nice find, LM. :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Very cool LordM!

8. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

You can do the overlays with Powerpoint if you have it.

9. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Thanks to the OP for this post. I came across a similar Maria I piece, but it is very very thin, so I don't know its authenticity. Obviously condition is rough... Appears to be 1795/1776 with the 5 stamped over the III. The later 5, 1795, and lettering around the edge are all slightly off axis from the original coin. Weighs only .1ozt, very light for a decent sized copper. IMG_9618.jpg IMG_9619.jpg IMG_9620.jpg IMG_9621.jpg IMG_9622.jpg IMG_9623.jpg

furryfrog02 and lordmarcovan like this.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

@lordmarcovan your revived post reminded me of this one in my collection. Unfortunately I can't make out the date of the original coin but you can see the denomination.

Azo179515.jpg
    Azores
    Obverse: Crowned arms within cartouche
    Obverse Legend: MARIA ...
    Reverse: Value and date within wreath
    Reverse Legend: PORTUGAL....

Note: Overstruck on Portuguese 10 Reis, KM#306

Composition: Copper

11. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

I think I found an overstruck Azores coin:
    Azores, 1795, 20 Réis, Maria I, Overstruck
    I can see some text leftover by the crown on the obverse, and I think the parallel diagonal lines on the reverse by the 20 are from the previous surface.
    Any suggestions as to what the 20 Réis were struck over? Thanks!
    Coin is 35 mm, 11.61 g
    Azores 1795 20 Réis Overstruck.jpg
    Edit: On closer inspection, I think the parallel lines are part of a shield pattern very similar to the one on the obverse. But the base of the shield is rotated to an 11:00 orientation compared to the 6:00 on the obverse.

From the size and pattern, I think it was probably struck over some sort of Portugal 10 Réis, though I'm not sure which one.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    lordmarcovan, Theodosius and Chris B like this.
  12. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Similar 10 Réis

Azores 10 Réis 1795 rev-side.jpg

furryfrog02 and The Eidolon like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

I guess most of these small copper denominations must have been overstruck, though I cannot offer any intelligence on what the host for @The Eidolon’s coin must have been.

Theodosius and The Eidolon like this.
  14. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

WOW, nice find, love this coin

The Eidolon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted