Ay CARRumba!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, Jan 1, 2017.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

This from the guy that "told off" our mod @USS656 a couple weeks ago for posting opinions about this.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/try-to-keep-the-noise-down.286371/page-7
    Post 131.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

1. They aren't coins.

2. I'm asking for definitive clarification of the interpretation of the rules.

3. I was warned to cease and desist. I'm wondering if that applies to only anti-Carr posts, or also to pro-Carr posts.

This is not directly a condemnation of the Carr pieces (I have made my position clear in other threads). This is a request for clarification for what is allowed. If pro-Carr posts are allowed and anti-Carr posts are not, then I need a mod to tell me. If all Carr posts are allowed, then let 'er rip. With definitive clarification of how the rules are interpreted, I will abide by the final decision of the moderators (even if I disagree with it).

If the official position of this site is to allow and promote counterfeits, than I think the readership of this website needs to know exactly where the moderation stands. Perhaps we need the ultimate arbitration of @Peter T Davis ?

Rick Stachowski and Muzyck like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Take an Advil........

Seattlite86, Paul M. and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

So is this your tactic now. To go all spaz and try to get threads showing off new Carr purchases locked? Just stop it, please.

Paul M., baseball21 and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

When I see counterfeits from other producers, I am equally as vehement in condemning them. The difference is, Chinese counterfeits don't have widespread acceptance. Nobody brags about buying a Chinese Counterfeit. And no Chinese counterfeiter is posting here, defending and promoting his work.

We all agree that Chinese counterfeits are bad. We apparently don't all agree that American counterfeits are bad. I don't understand the distinction.

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Sorry guys. I didn't know this would happen. I was just trying to show off my new Proof-Likes a few of which have amazing frosty cameo contrast which I know some of you would like to see.

hotwheelsearl and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The other thread was not about DCarr. The warning was about taking over a thread subject. The original thread was about a law case of counterfeit coin sales. DCarr's has not been involved with such a case. If anyone wishes to initiate such, that is up to them. This one started as a DCarr praise thread, if people do not want to read and respond, don't . Especially if it may cause the lost of a member. The ancient section commonly talks about counterfeits, so it can be a subject of discussion. Until there is a definitive legal case ( named parties) and outcome, It is still in debate as long as it is reasonable. Both sides have bones, but can not see how they are so alike. There has been NO resolution in all of the threads presented. Hopefully no one feels they are so important they can not be removed.

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

No. I'm just an "ok" photographer. Just use my cellphone. That first one is amazing. I put them in order of most frosty to least. These photos replicate the in-hand apperance quite well

10. green18

The distinction is deception. There is absolutey no deception here.

Seattlite86 and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, this is simple. If you enjoy them and like to "support" the thread creator then post away. It keeps a good vibe and let's those who like the coins enjoy chatting with others of a like mind. If you don't like them, then simply ignore the thread and move on to others. We all know how you feel about them and chiming in every time a thread is created is a waste of time. You won't change any minds.

Personally, I don't mind the fantasy coins. Do I think they are counterfeits? Not at all, they never existed. A counterfeit is a copy of something that actually exists that is intended to fool someone. The closest things that Dan Carr has made recently, that dances on the edge of counterfeiting were the 1916 tributes that he struck on 1 ounce bullion. The designs were the same size as the originals, but the host piece is far larger, and thus could not be mistaken for an original. I liked them so much I bought a set.

Paul M., Evan8, Johndoe2000$ and 2 others like this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

Go ahead and read up on Christodoulous, Becker, and Rosa. At least in the case of Becker and Rosa, deception was not their primary goal. I would recommend Wayne Sayles "Classical Deception" for a history of counterfeits and the damage they do to the hobby.

13. physics-fan3.14

Well, @desertgem , it's not an answer, but I guess I see where you are coming from. I'm not that important, really, and know that I can be removed. I was hoping for some resolution and clarification, but I guess that was a pipe dream. I'll exit this thread now.

If y'all want to buy counterfeits, you go ahead and spend your money supporting the forgers.

Until next time, folks.

micbraun likes this.
  14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nice. You had to get that last jab in on the way out. Man what a class act. You are now on my ignore list.

Sorry about this guys. Hopefully we can get back on topic now

mill rat41, Paul M. and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  15. desertgem

I think everyone has a viewpoint on this area. I do also, but until there is legal resolution and clarification, it is what it is. All members are valuable, and their viewpoints are important. And since Cascade, got the last jab comment in, I want it to end.

16. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Maybe the anti-Carr members could start their own thread, and stay off the Pro Carr threads. That would be great. Welcome to 2017 everyone. Very nice ghosting on a couple of the O.P. pics.

Chiefbullsit, Paul M. and Cascade like this.
  17. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

The problem as I see it is your inability to ignore a thread you know you don't agree with. I'm a casual observer and I know your opinion, you don't need to repeat it so often. Read the title and just keep moving.

I don't own any moonlight mint products simply because I don't want to pay the premium. He's a talented artist and puts out a quality product that has a dedicated following. He could end up like an Andy Warhol type and we'll all be kicking ourselves for not buying early.

I know I can't change your mind about the difference between a fantasy medal and a counterfeit coin Edited: Language

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  18. green18

Links please.....when I google Christodoulous I get a hair dresser in Alabama.

19. desertgem

John, You can suggest it , but any thread is open to any member and each has a right as do you to comment.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

So since @physics-fan3.14 said he was bowing out, y'all decide to throw these extra comments at him why.... to draw him back in? To get your last words in now that you know he left? Not that I agree with him 100% on his specific stance, but who's to blame now for the mud slinging? Still him?

Rick Stachowski and Paul M. like this.
  21. green18

I'll never eat breakfast cereal again.

Draft saved Draft deleted