Awful quality proof

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by expat, Jul 29, 2020.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

A friend was at my house tonight and he bought some coins over for me look at with a view to purchasing some. When we got to a 1977 blackpack 6 coin proof set I was a bit surprised. The 1 cent is appalling. The lettering is spread, the finish is terrible and the reverse especially defies belief with no details on the memorial and the steps, when you are led to believe that extreme care is taken when preparing proof coins. I asked him why he had not seen it and he said he never looks closely at his coins.
    I must add at this point that he then cracked open the plastic case so I could capture an image and under the unforgiving gaze of a camera lens, it is even worse than looking at it through the plastic
    DSC00220.jpg 20200730_010627 (2).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Sometimes happens in the OGP (original government packaging).....that is to say, some nasty environmental damage. As the set is rather ordinary and not too pricey, I'd crack the coins out and give them a 'soak' in something to see if something shakes loose........alas, I think the state of the subject is beyond redemption.

Indianhead65 and expat like this.
  4. expat

Agreed. Told him to take them home and leave them in distilled water overnight see what the morning brings. They might be cleaner but will still look below par because of the poor quality of the strike

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm not sure if it's so much the strike, as it is the 'schmutz' that predominates.......

expat likes this.
  6. expat

Yeah, hopefully he might end up with a clean coin that has attractive MD on the reverse letters and the outside edges of the memorial

green18 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The Cent is environmentally damaged. I'd soak like you suggested then protect the other coins. The Cent is probably toast.

expat likes this.
  8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I was looking and thinking something's wrong...got mine out an its the red insert! Don't pay more than $3 or $4 for the clad proof sets. Cameo on my cent but has a lot of the red fibers... Polish_20200729_205846473.jpg

9. expat

Yes I saw that too. Had to hold his coin vertically by the edge and rinse it with distilled water to get them off.
    UPDATE: He phoned this morning, nothing changed. So, as mentioned

I am going to have the set for 2 Euros put them in individual holders. I have a 1978 set I inherited and would be nice to examine them side by side to note die differences etc for future reference.
    Thanks for your time guys, got to go to work now, have a good day all

Collecting Nut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted