AV Zecchino ND Mytilene Mint/Lesbos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Oct 22, 2016.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

In 1354 Francesco Gattilusio, a nephew of the Genoese ambassador to the court of Constantinople, helped the Byzantine Emperor John V Paleologus recover the crown from the usurper John VI Cantacuzene. He, then married the Emperor's sister, and was given Lordship over the Greek Island of Lesbos. Thus the Genoese House of Gattilusio would rule on Lesbos, issue coinage in gold/silver/copper. The silver/copper are rarely found in good condition, the AV issues are extremely rare, less the handfull known.

Here is my example from 2012 Kunker Auction...

AV Zecchino ND Mytilene Mint
    Lord Giacomo Gattilusio 1376-96
    3.51g. 23mm. very crude strike (imitating Venetian AV Zecchini) 469871l (1).jpg

seth77, Theodosius, KIWITI and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coin, nice details on both size.

panzerman likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Jesus, Panzerman. You are on a medieval buying spree. It's winner after winner for you. You sure go big, never a dud. Congrats man, that is one desperately pretty coin.

panzerman likes this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

As always, I'm in awe of your gold panzer. I'm assuming you must wear shades when you flip through your coin albums?

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Dude ... are you buying these coins "new" or are we seeing you posting your collection (both are awesome, I'm merely spell-bounded if your landscaping job is allowing you to buy these new coins and your family is still able to eat bread)

panzerman likes this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!! That coin is totally BEYOND AWESOME!!

panzerman likes this.
  8. panzerman

Actually, I always wear sunglasses when on the "job". Today, unfortunately its been raining cats and dogs, we have now had three straight days of heavy rain!
    So, instead of making $, I have spent a whack of dough on that FDC Hungary AV Dukat 1633 k-B Ferdinand II (Polish Auction). Funny thing was, had it not rained/ I would have lost it, since my "proxy" bid was 100 Euros too low....:):):):):)
    Thanks for all the awesome comments!
    Steve....actually, all the coins I am posting were bought from auctions between 1998 and present day....just won that coin above around 12 noon. My better half, lets me work Monday-Thursday to pay the bills/all non-coin things:):):):):):):)
    Then....best of all, I can spend the Friday-Sunday $ on COINS:):):):):):)! So, I have around 90K to spend on coins, plus my $ from selling my butterfly/moth collection....most I am trading to a Quebec City gentlemen, for mint state Roman Aureus;). Most of you must think I an NUTS to work eight months straight....but I get the 4 month Winter off! My first project will be to purchase a Rottie puppy, my Loki went to Valhalla (heaven) last July. He is the 120 pound white Box on his doggie couch! 100_1208 (Large).JPG

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I totally understand, for I also landscaped for 10 years before becoming a mining engineer (at times, I still miss the shovelin' days!!)

I lived in B.C. so we'd shut down due to wetness during December and January (BC Ski Team!!) => Chicken Dinna!!

... your collection rocks

Alegandron and panzerman like this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's another WINNER!

the face of jesus kind of messes with me however!

what' that roy rogers said, if dogs don't go to heaven, i want to go wherever it is the dogs go....something like that.

panzerman likes this.
  11. panzerman

Thanks Steve!
    I have only had one career....mowing grass/ weeding flowerbeds/ trimming hedges/ nukeing lawns for weeds/cinchbugs/grubs...2-4-D/DIAZINON are a gardeners best friend! I did want to be an a sort of "treasure hunter" while I was in school....sadly, I have yet to find anything like a rare coin/hoard:(:(:(:(:(

stevex6 likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey P-Dawg => we're all loving your bare-chested, diggin' deep life-style ...

=> apparently if you mow fast enough, you get awesome golden ancient coins!!

... I'd continue to go with that ...

You rock ... cheers

Oh, and don't mind the bugs that occasionally hit your wind-screen ... eventually, they'll go away

panzerman likes this.
  13. panzerman

1887081l (1).jpg chrsmat71.....that dog was a true saint, sure miss him! I have a neat AV Dukat from Oberwalden/Swiss Cantons that shows Saint Nicholas receiving message from God! I know this coin is not ancient....but just to show what I mean!
    AV Dukat 1787 Unterwalden Mint
    Swiss Cantons/ Oberwalden
    Saint Nicholas kneeling before God

Draft saved Draft deleted