AV Tanka Sultanate of Dehli (Daulatabad Mint) AH 752 (1353AD)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Mar 29, 2016.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

My AV Tanka Mohammad III bin Tughlaq in name of Abbasid Caliph john photos 1 049 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 050 (Medium).jpg

spirityoda, Ancientnoob and Mikey Zee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I think @Ancientnoob, among a few others. will especially LOVE that coin!!

panzerman and Ancientnoob like this.
  4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Oh, its liked alright.

panzerman likes this.
  5. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

May I suggest a few corrections your title text:
    - This coin can't be dated 752AH, that's after Muhammad's reign. The 742 as stated on the coinflip probably is correct.
    - The mint is not Daulatabad, but Dehli (written in the middle line on the coin side in your upper pic).
    - This is not a Tanka, a Tanka is a silver coin. This is a Dinar, as also is written on the coin in the top line in your upper pic.
    Apart from this nitpicking: beautifull coin !!!

Ancientnoob, Mikey Zee and panzerman like this.
  6. panzerman

Thanks for corrections, I wish I could read arabic script.

7. THCoins

I am also not an expert in reading Arabic. If you have the Goron&Goenka catalog it will become easier to decrypt at least parts of the inscription.
    Btw. As you said this coin is in the name of the Abbasid Caliph Al-Mustakfi. Fun trivia fact is that this caliph had been dead for several years already. But the news had not reached Dehli yet at the time these coins were minted.

panzerman, Ancientnoob and Mikey Zee like this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very interesting looking coin.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    panzerman likes this.
  9. panzerman

Thats good to hear, I should have my book in about 7-10 days. By the way, are they doing a book on Mughal Empire coins as well?
    John

10. THCoins

There is no real recent and complete standard catalog on Mughal coinage. Work is being done by others on a multi-volume standard work, but i believe that's only progressing slowly.

panzerman likes this.
  11. panzerman

They will need a large page format to show life sized photos of the massive 1000 Mohur coins. These are 200mm in diameter/560 oz. gold! I think they struck 500/200/100 Mohur coins too!

12. THCoins

Well, if you get one of those, just show it here. My monitor is large enough !

panzerman likes this.
  13. panzerman

I think that both the 1000 and a 200 Mohur specimens are in collection of a Gulf Prince.....nice to have that kinda dough. Maybe same one who bought those Jahangir Zodiac AV Mohurs from recent Triton XIX Adams III collection. Coins sold for 500K @ estimate 20K!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted