AV Ecu d'or au Soleil 1635-B Rouen Mint Louis XIII 3.37g. 25mm.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Dec 2, 2016.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

2636326l.jpg Just won this from Boule Auctions!
    This neat coin was in circulation during the time of Alexandre Dumas famed, "Three Muskateers"

dlhill132, old49er, Puckles and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Not to mention during the 30 years war.

panzerman likes this.
  4. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Also I failed to mention: superb coin.

panzerman likes this.
  5. laurentyvan

laurentyvan Active Member

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Lovely.

I had a mid-1500s Francis I ecu d'or au soleil back in the late 1990s, and rather miss it a bit.

You can actually see luster on your example! I doubt that particular piece saw much circulation at all!

My Francis I was XF++ to AU-ish, as I recall. I swapped it for a metal detector. (The minister who married my wife and I in 1999 was/is an avid detectorist and a good friend.) Now retired, he has continued to call us every year for the past 17 years to wish us a happy anniversary. This year I told him that if he ever wants to sell that coin back to me, I'd love to buy it. He mentioned he still has it, in my old holder, but didn't mention any interest in selling it back to me, so I did not press the issue.

7. panzerman

The French sided with the "enemy" during the, "Thirty Years War". Cardinal Richelieu(the real power broker) in France, joined the Protestant side vs the Catholic forces of the Imperial Holy Roman Empire/Spain! Kinda strange, after the French just had won a religious war vs the Protestant Huguenots during the later 1500s. The Cardinal probably had side interests, like getting territorial gains in Spanish Netherlands.

8. panzerman

Lordmarcovan...you should scan i-Numis/Boule/MDC Monaco/Gadboury/CBG Auctions. They have pristine French AV coinage from Francois I/HenriIII/Louis XIII/often;););););););)

9. lordmarcovan

Yes, and they no doubt have prices that a mere peasant "lord" like myself could never hope to afford! LOL

But I did just buy that Brabant florin we discussed, so I did recently acquire another piece of 16th century hammered gold, as it happens. I still need to post the writeup on that one (#5 in my present sig line image).

Hammered gold is not something I can afford on a regular basis!

10. panzerman

I know just the "feeling":(! I was after a coin like yours, AV Reale d'or Brabant/Carolus V in EF/sadly it went 3X estimate, but I did land that one above/a day later! I have NEVER ever seen a FDC Reale d'or/ same as for Couronne d'ors from Flanders/Brabant/Namur/Tournai.....had you and I been around back then....it would have been a different story;)

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Had you been around when I was still collecting, you would have ;)

12. GDJMSP

These two weren't FDC but I think they'll serve to kinda give ya the idea :)

1546-56 Aust Neth real d'or obv.JPG 1546-56 Aust Neth real d'or rev.JPG 1546-56 Brabant real d'or obv.JPG 1546-56 Brabant real d'or rev.JPG

chrisild, Puckles and panzerman like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

@GDJMSP - all I can say is "WOW". :jawdrop:

I still haven't done my writeup on this one (perhaps because that will require some actual thinking on my part, haha)

Much more modest grade, but nice toning, in my humble opinion:

[​IMG]

dlhill132, Puckles and panzerman like this.
  14. GDJMSP

Yeah, that was kind of my opinion too Rob :) A lot of the coins in my collection had varying degrees of what I often referred to as the wow factor. In fact I used to advise people, still do somewhat, that they wanted to buy the coins that made them say WOW !

Over the years I've posted pretty much all of them around here. And every now n them it makes me smile to post them again ;)

15. lordmarcovan

I enjoy posting some of my "bygones", too. They're never totally bygone if I have a picture and a fond memory. :)

16. panzerman

Amazing examples GDJMSP, thanks for posting them:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:! I really like the AV coinage from the so called, "Low Countries"....
    John

17. GDJMSP

Well then, you should really like this one :) When I owned it it was the finest known, may well still be.

1364 Cavalier D'Or obv.jpg 1364 Cavalier D'Or rev.jpg

When it comes to history, and the story behind the coin, in my opinion this one stands above all others ;)

PS - don't get me started on ducats :D

silvereagle82 and panzerman like this.
  18. panzerman

I agree! The history is fascinating. At last count/ there are 270 Dukaten/Zecchini coins in my collection/sadly the really nice multiples (over 5 Dukaten are very pricey) Well, I am off to work to pay for last auction win:):):):):):):):):):):):).... Your Cavilier d'or....outstanding! I have three different ones, I will post them when I get home from work....

19. lordmarcovan

@GDJMSP - holy cow, man. What is that? A chevalier d'or?

Wow. That's what it is. A wow.

20. GDJMSP

Cavilier d'or, chevalier d'or - those are a couple of the names the coins are known by, depending on what country the coin was minted in, the person speaking, or book, is from. But it's primary name, since the ultimate minting authority was given by Jean le Bon of France, is the franc à' cheval. And for those who don't know, it was the first French franc ever minted.

panzerman likes this.
  21. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Since this is not the Ancients Forum (and I do not collect nor know anything about Ancients) I have to ask, when you are referring to a 1635 Ecu d'or as AV do you mean gold?

Draft saved Draft deleted