AV Dukat Bamberg 1638 Wurzburg Mint

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Compare coin minted in early 16th century Germany to so called stuff minta are putting out today. They had a lot more going for them 400 years ago. john photos 1 001 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 003 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 004 (Medium).jpg

chrsmat71, wcg, jello and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Bamberg produced some wonderful designs during that time period. Very nice ducat you have there.

panzerman likes this.
  4. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Since you are on the topic of Bishopric coinage, here is Bamberg bishopric medal I picked up in the fall. Struck in 1795 to commemorate the death of Franz Ludwig von Erthal. Approx 48mm in size. The reverse is one of the best Bamberg designs ever produced - features Holy Roman Emperor Henry II and his wife Cunigunde (ruled at the turn of first millenia - 1000 A.D.).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

chrsmat71 and panzerman like this.
  5. panzerman

Lovely piece! I would say that the coins produced under the Holy Roman Empire were the apex of coin art. Esp. the Salzburg material.

6. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Beautiful indeed.....only rivaled by the artistry of the Hamerani dynasty of engravers at the Papal States during the latter part of 1600s through late 1700s. The designs on the piastras are wonderful. I don't see many threads on this forum dedicated to the older Papal States material.

7. panzerman

We will fix that.

Draft saved Draft deleted