AV 1/32 Dukat ND (1700) 5mm./0.11g.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Mar 26, 2017.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Tiny AV coin from Imperial City of Regensburg/ Leopold I 1657-1705 FDC 877284l (1).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Here is the Numismaster information about that coin:

German States
    Regensburg
    Trade Coinage

KM# A325 1/32 Ducat 1741 0.986 Gold 0.0035 oz. AGW Obv: City arms, 'B' below, in dotted circle Rev: Crowned imperial eagle in dotted circle

KM# 355 1/32 Ducat 1750 0.986 Gold 0.0035 oz. AGW Obv: Crossed key arms in inner circle Rev: Crowned imperial eagle with shield on breast in inner circle

It is not at all clear from the pictures which one it is.

panzerman and longnine009 like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am seeing something like your coin in my 18th century Krause catalog KM#355.
    dated 1750. guessing here. is this the right KM# ? and is this the right date. the coin pictured is like 5mm size. man that's small, but cool. :cool::)

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Small indeed. Was about to comment on the blurry photo which is below your usual standards ;) and only then noticed the "5 mm" in the subject. Does "B" refer to Bayreuth, or is that a mintmaster sign?

Christian

6. panzerman

thanks!
    These 1/32 Dukaten came in two styles/ the 1700/ND ones have the Imperial Habsburg Eagle/ while the later ones have an "R" instead of eagle reverse.
    The "B" was the mintmaster Johann Christoph Busch. He also designed all those magnificent "City Scene" coins....just saw a beautifull 20 Dukaten ND/1750/Kunker Auction/ sadly cannot afford it:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

chrisild likes this.
  7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I've always wondered whether these were created as "gifts" or presentation pieces since it would be impractical to use such a small coin in commerce. Think baptism, marriage etc.

8. panzerman

I think that you are correct, probably these were given by "well off" parishioners to clergy/ gifts for as you stated Baptism/Communion/Marriage. The 1/32/1/16/1/8 Dukaten would have served these purposes. The 1/4/1/2/ 1/ 2/ 5/ 10 Dukaten were for commerce. While the 15/ 20/ 30/ 50/ 100 Dukaten were for official "Presentation" ...ie: the Emperor would give them to foreign dignitaries/ General who won a battle/ etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted