Authenticity

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Lindsey Opp, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Lindsey Opp

Lindsey Opp Member

Please share your expertise on what you think about this coin.
    20181111_022229.jpg 20181111_011441.jpg
    I'm not so sure since the back is blank or very damaged. Thank you!

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It looks like a uniface casting... possibly a sand casting.

It is a good idea to also post the diameter, weight, and how you acquired the coin or object. It helps members give a more considered opinion.

Andres2 and Lindsey Opp like this.
  4. Lindsey Opp

Lindsey Opp Member

I had posted it in the "What's it worth" category with a handful of other coins and was referred to post it in here for your expertise.
    I bought a van in an auction and found them in a compartment is how I acquired it. It weighs 8.35g and here is a pic of the group of coins I found all together..along with a 1982 penny I threw in for size comparison. 20181111_030524.jpg
    Thank you for your time!

alurid likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The other coins should be posted on the World Coins board.

Lindsey Opp likes this.
  6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Considering how and with what else it was acquired, along with the fact that the obverse is in very nice shape but the reverse is blank, I'd agree that it is a cast copy.

7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

A perfectly round flan with nothing on the reverse, and no meaningful indication that there ever was anything on the reverse, makes me wonder if it were not a modern copy used for jewelry or something like that. But as anyone can tell you, one can only tell so much from photographs. I just wouldn’t buy that vacation home in the Hamptons just yet.

8. Keith Twitchell

Keith Twitchell Active Member

Also agree that it looks like a cast. In particular, the blank reverse does not look like it ever went through a coinage process.

Lindsey Opp likes this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Probably a cast...

Lindsey Opp likes this.
  10. Del44

Del44 Member

Looks to be from a "Coins from the Bible" set or plaque. Definitely a cast copy due to the porous surfaces combined with the blobs on some of the lettering and being one-sided.

Lindsey Opp and TIF like this.
  11. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Looks to be for sure a souvenir casting. It appears there are traces of the glue that held it only the card or plaque. (The other coins appear to be: clockwise from US cent: Cyprus, 5 mils, 1963-1980, copper-nickel; Israel, 1 agorah, 1960-1979, aluminum; Israel, 1 agorah, 1972, aluminum; Switzerland, 20 rappen (guessing from size), 1970, copper-nickel; Switzerland, 5 rappen (still guessing from size), 1939, copper-nickel; and Greek, 10 drachmai, 1968, copper-nickel.)

Lindsey Opp and Alegandron like this.
  12. Lindsey Opp

Lindsey Opp Member

Thank you all for your responses.. I agree with what you're all saying. Altho I found it strange it doesn't stick to a magnet. I thought for sure it would. Here's one more pic of the back. What would the back look like if it were real?

20181111_145649.jpg

13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

There are many different reverse types. This one is fairly typical:
    [​IMG]

Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted