Authenticity of 1930 Peruvian Sol?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mackat, Aug 16, 2017.

1. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am looking for some of your opinions regarding the authenticity of this 1930 Peruvian sol. I purchased it from a place I trust, so if it turns out not to be authentic, it shouldn't be a problem. It has what I might call an "interesting", somewhat shiny look to it, which I would normally attribute to the .500 silver content. What concerns me, however, is the following:

1. It is supposed to weigh 25g, yet my scale shows it as weighing 24.5 or 24.6 grams

2. Liberty's face is quite deformed and looks to be not entirely there, and the ribbon which is supposed to connect to the wreath above it has several missing sections

3. Although the quality of this video isn't very good, it seems to somewhat resemble the one depicted:

Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

In my totally unexpert opinion that looks suspicious. Is it a rare date?

mackat likes this.
  4. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

I would agree that it looks a bit suspicious, and it's too bad that I didn't recognize that before I bought it. It has a mintage of 76,000, which is low, but I think it's pretty easily obtainable. Another thing that is a definite red flag is that among all the examples I've seen on the internet, I haven't yet seen one that matches this one (aside from possibly the fake one in that video).

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I can't say with certainty, but there looks like there are casting pits on the surfaces. That would make me suspicious but I haven't seen authentic examples to compare.

mackat likes this.
  6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

If it helps at all, here's my 1923. It has some wear but doesn't show the oddness that yours does. 1923 peru 1 sol.jpg

mackat likes this.
  7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I don't have a 1930, but I do have a 1934 and by comparing the two I do think yours looks different. I am not going to suggest which is wrong as I don't know. But looking at the area around the nose specifically and the fingers there seems to be a problem.

L-SJPER002#2.JPG

mackat likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

One common problem with some cast counterfeits is that the diameter will be slightly smaller. As metal cools in the mold it contracts. Check the diameter against the specification. Maybe, that will provide some direction

mackat likes this.
  9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I'm by no means an expert, but I do have a 1915 90% silver version of this coin (that I know is authentic), so your post piqued my curiosity.

I'm spent some time comparing yours to mine, and to several of the later 50% versions I found online from trustworthy sources.

To my admittedly unexpert eye, there's a ton of detail on your coin that looks spot-on accurate. So if it's a fake, it's a very good one.

The nose is an obvious issue, and not one that I could find on any other sample. Any chance that it's PMD? Your photo isn't high enough resolution to tell. Just based on your images and without a more detailed look at the nose, I don't think the evidence at hand is conclusive one way or the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted