Authenticity concerns about 8 Reales coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Stevearino, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Thanks, @Burton Strauss III. I was just on, but didn't post because my ID is currently my real name, and I couldn't find a way to change it. I wrote the administrator(s) for instructions. So if you could email swamperbob and ask him to email Steve Trandem that would be greatly appreciated. I have already checked the box on CCF to allow reception of emails.

Steve

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Well @Stevearino we will have to see what he says.

Stevearino likes this.
  4. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

I saw your post on CoinCommunity where you are now saying your suspicions are confirmed based on comments from CoinTalk? While you may be correct, I don't believe you have received any expert opinions here. Please post your pictures over there and get an opinion from a real expert.

5. Stevearino

Hi @jgenn, what made me realize beyond any doubt was the post of an authentic 1840 here on CT. My coin/counterfeit was laughable when compared to a real one.

I have a nearly impossible time trying to post photos from my MacBook; it's no problem from my iPhone. I was on my Mac when I posted. I'll try to get back on with my phone.

Thanks for the heads up, @jgenn.

Steve

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The coin is what we call an "across the room C/F." The only thing good about your coin is that its ROUND. Keep it as it is possibly worth more than the entire lot of coins you bought. It does not look modern.

Stevearino likes this.
  7. Stevearino

Thanks, @Insider. Yeah, I wish I still had the old counterfeit Walker and Buff that I had as a teenager.

steve

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Resolution from those following along, but not willing to cross the street...

"Your coin is in fact a very collectable version of a Gunajuato Counterfeit. These were made primarily in the US before the Civil War and were common in commerce at the time.

It is not listed in J.L. Riddell's book but I intend to list it if I live long enough to publish an update. I'm my own collection I have at least 6 coins struck from the same dies and onlt[sic] one in better shape than yours."​

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted