Authenticity check

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Jan 9, 2021.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Not an expert... but I would not bid on that..

Stevearino likes this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

It sold for like $12, so not many others did either haha

6. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

it is authentic in my opinion and the seller seems like a legit seller. $12 for a fake coin why even bother trying ?

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

Now that I think it I should have got it fake or not, great price even if it’s not real

8. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Not often you can get a decent grade 3rd century sestertius for less than $20, including shipping. The style looks good to me. But with that much surface damage, I could not swear that it wasn't cast, though.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

10. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I don't like anything about it, especially the surface and would not have purchased it at any price. Every time I looked at it I would question it. I can not determine its metal or weight from the photo and I would need to see it in hand to get the "feel" of the metal.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Stevearino likes this.
  11. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I was watching that one too. It looked fake to me, although it is better than most (and maybe I'm wrong).

Unfortunately the Bulgarian-area counterfeiters are cranking out plausible-looking big AEs as well as denarii and listing them on eBay. Mostly they are confined to European auctions, but I notice lately that there is some USA leakage as well.

12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I can only give an opinion, don't take a chance. Good luck

13. coolhandred24

coolhandred24 Member

Looks like a cast coin. I would pass.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  14. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

15. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

The two coins that were the same are one of the most common coins of Alfonso XII of Spain they are worth maybe $ 3 in this condition. I would probably guess the seller accidentally made two listings of the same coin. These coins are so common and cheap it would cost more to make a counterfeit coin than to buy a real one.

16. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

He also sold a 1762 MF 8 Reales (Mexico mint) that has questionable authenticity, closed 8 Jan @$131, genuine one in this condition would have sold for well over $2k

Numisnewbiest and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted