Authenticating the 1921-D Dime - What do you think of this one?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

[​IMG]
    Back in the day, the fake 1921-D was often simulated by removing the numeral 4 from genuine dimes dated 1941-D, and replacing it with the 2 from one dated 1942. Everyone at CT should know how to detect this old-time fake. First of all, the 9 on a genuine 1921 dime is open, rather than being closed as on a 1941 dime. These two close-up photos depict the closed 9 of the 1941 and the open 9 of a genuine 1921-D.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In addition to the open 9, the numeral 1 on a genuine 1921 is a unique style used only in that year. Also, the mintmark on a 1921-D dime should be the small size used 1917-34, while the 1941-D has a much larger D mintmark used 1934-45.

There are essentially no contact marks on my new dime which made me worry about it possibly being a die struck counterfeit. However, my new 1921-D has much mint luster. These luster flow lines are evidence of the dies being used to strike many coins which is normal in government mint production. Modern day counterfeiters don’t normally strike enough coins to produce this kind of luster. My new coin is nicely struck & appears to have split bands. I bought it for the eye appeal & I think it’s a keeper.

Thanks for letting me share & I look forward to your comments.

Very best regards,
    collect89

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Photos depicting the bands

Here are some shots of the top, middle, & bottom bands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Thanks for the post. I did not know that!

Dean 295 likes this.
  5. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Very Informative Post. Thanks for the effort into creating this!

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. 2CentRick

2CentRick Senior Moment

Congratulations. Beautiful coin. How does the third side measure up?

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Good question. The reeding is nicely struck just like the bands.

9. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Thanks for the interesting and informative article.

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It would be really nice is someone could post a photo of an altered date 1921-D. I know that the Seymour Coin Shop used to keep an example on the wall to educate visitors. Please post a photo if you have one.

11. 2CentRick

2CentRick Senior Moment

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I was referring to Seymour Coins in Seymour Connecticut. I called them & they no longer have an example for me to photograph.

13. 2CentRick

2CentRick Senior Moment

That Seymour sure gets around. Here is an altered date photo.

Attached Files:

Stevearino likes this.
  14. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

Good thread for winged liberty dime collectors. Now I must go and check my 1921 D dime for authenticity.

Bruce

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

You can also check your 1921-P for the same characteristics.

16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Last two photos

This photo depicts the small D mintmark which is found on genuine 1921-D dimes. This small D was used between 1916 and 1934. It probably looks familiar. It is the same D depicted in this thread describing how to authenticate the 1916-D dime. http://www.cointalk.com/t101697/
    [​IMG]

This last photo depicts the large D mintmark which was used on Mercury dimes between 1934 and 1945.
    [​IMG]

17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I'm mailing this 1921-D to a TPG right now. (Post office closes in 20 minutes). In about 20 days we can play guess the grade.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Any news on this, or did I miss an update thread?

19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I guess we both missed the update post.

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

MS62 FSB holder

Resurrecting this thread certainly is a blast from the past. I found these photos in my 2010 files. The coin is in an ANACS MS62 FSB holder. Sorry that the slab photo is washed-out.

Attached Files:

Dean 295 likes this.
  21. Alex.Coins

Alex.Coins New Member

I was looking at your coin and I felt it was a ms 64 FB. It's a very nice coin

Draft saved Draft deleted