Authenticating some ancient Jewish Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by mrbrklyn, Feb 2, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Someone asked me if I could authenticate these coins, which I can not, of course, but I though someone here might help.

Ruben

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Not my area, but the look ok to me.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Flans and sprues look good. I always look at those first since so many forgers don't understand how these were made. You are right to be nervous though, as these were and are heavily faked. The one Jewish war coin looks a little funny, (the one with the pot with handles), and would like to see more pics including a side pic if you had one. Other than that nothing appears out of line.

Chris

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

can you ID them sperately?

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

OK - here is the side view

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

no thought on the side view?

8. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

they look fine to me, i may be wrong but the top one may be the fabled widows mite of biblical legend. but i may be wrong as i don't really collect coins from that area.

9. medoraman

Sorry most of the pics are not coming up for me at work. I will check at home later. Btw, the top one is a Hasmonean prutah, not a Hasmonean lepton, which is the "widow's mite". Of the pics I can see, I see a Hasmonean, Jewish war, and a Herodian coin. If I can get the pics to come up tonight, I can id them with Hendin.

Chris

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I think they are too large for mites, although you can find those a dime a dozen in Israel.

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Did you ever get the chance to follow up on this, Chris?

Ruben

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Did you ever get the chance to follow up on this, Chris? BTW - here is a direct link if it overwhelms your browser to view all those photographs at once.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com/coins/israel_ancients/

Ruben

13. medoraman

Sorry just saw the thread now. I will pull out Hendin tonight.

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

15. medoraman

This is from Hendin's 3rd edition. He has a newer edition out, but hopefully the numbers have stayed the same.

Your bottom coin is 661 AE prutah of the Jewish War, (year two). AJC II, 260,12. 67/68AD
    O Amphora with broad rim and two handles
    R Vine leaf on small branch

Top row right:

Hendin 553 Agrippa I year 6, struck 41/42 AD AJC II 249,11
    AE Prutah
    O umbrella like canopy
    R 3 ears of barley growing between two leaves

Top row center

Hendin 505 Herod Archelus AE Prutah AJC II 241,6 4BC-6AD
    O Bunch of grapes and vine
    R Tall helmet with crest and cheek straps

The first one top row I cannot make out. It is from the ancient jewish kings of the Hasmonean dynasty, about 150-70 BC, but without further cleaning cannot be sure of which one. Its a AE prutah as the denomination.

Hope that helps. Btw the AJC numbers are another attribution to Ancient Jewish Coinage II by Meshorer. That number would not change regardless of the Hendin number has.

Chris

Btw I think the Jewish war one is probably the most valuable. Not very rare, but very historical and a pretty coin. Next would be the Herod Archelus, he did not rule that long or put out that many coins.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Thanks, I can finally return them to the owner :)

17. medoraman

My apologies to him sir for the delay. I would tell him he has some nice coins. It was a pleasure to review ancient jewish coins that weren't cheap 1960's cast counterfeits. I think ancient jewish coins are the most faked ancients there are.

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Well, these were acquired in the old city of Yerusalem. I would never buy anything there for fear of getting fakes. When i said that, the boy flew into a panic so I promised to see if i could fish up some information on them. Thanks for taking the time look and review them!

Reuvain

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I need to reshoot these, if I can borrow them back.

Draft saved Draft deleted