authentic?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Del44, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Del44

Del44 Member

Had to pass on this one. I am a novice on ancients, but just didn't look right.
    Screenshot_20181212-090626_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20181212-090641_eBay.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

For what it's worth, that one looks OK to me- doesn't appear to be an obvious fake, at any rate- [and that's where I'd be proven wrong, yet again] but since Nepotian is a scarce ruler, one would do right to be cautious. If you're a novice collector of ancients, I'd recommend you stick with VCoins dealers rather than going the eBay route.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Look him up on acsearch.info ... Hammered in the THOUSANDS. Personally, I feel you made the right decision passing. I am not qualified to render a decision, however, I like to do some research and try to use common-sense decision should it be my money. :) If it is “too-good-to-be-true”, it usually is.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Yes, I should have added that I'm not really qualified to determine whether or not that coin is authentic or fake, though I stand by the rest of my comments.

As with any collectible, if it's a supposedly scarcer item (in this case a scarcer emperor), then one must double or triple one's vigilance.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

7. lordmarcovan

FWIW, I remembered Nepotian being rare, but had forgotten just how rare.

I'm glad the OP steered clear.

Alegandron likes this.
  8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Del44, My two cents worth, the style looks wrong & the overall softness of details is suspicious. Hence, I agree with Valentinian, FAKE.

Alegandron and Deacon Ray like this.
  9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

It's a really bad fake. It would not fool too many people. On the bright side it looks like it might be made out of a genuine flan.

Alegandron and Deacon Ray like this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Pretty weird coin and I'm happy you decided to take a pass rather than get ripped off. I'm no expert but the softness of the portrait is alarming and the lettering is kind of "bubbly" for a late roman bronze.

11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Looks like something you'd get as a surprise from Kinder Surprise chocolate eggs.

12. Del44

Del44 Member

Thanks All for confirming my suspicions! I agree that the style looked wrong especially the hair when compared to other known examples and the lettering kinda looked "waxy" . Sad someone got suckered. I checked the Notorious Fake Sellers List and the seller was there. So many red flags with this one!

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted