Authentic or Fake?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I am terrible at picking out copies or replicas of coins, particularly ancients, however I just saw this on e-bay and just wanted to get opinions:

real.jpg

dlhill132, Deacon Ray and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Yes looks very modren too me, soapy lettering and edge.
    Best
    Eric

Jwt708 and Kentucky like this.
  4. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Fake to me too.

Insider and Kentucky like this.
  6. Kentucky

The dealer on e-bay is offering it in 6 and 9 g versions.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Look at the overall mushiness of the design. If a coin was worn, there should be loss of high point details, but there isn't. Its just overall soft, most likely from a cheap cast. Next look at the bottom edges. If this were correct, shouldn't you see some dots where the flan cut it off? Its just a clean cutoff of dots or no dots. Also the edge looks very sharp, not common on ancients and surely not common on an ancient that is supposed to be worn. Without even knowing the type that is how I view it.

Sometimes a lightly corroded piece will look like this, but there are other things to look for on those. Until you can tell the difference stay away from both.

Mikey Zee, Okidoki and Kentucky like this.
  8. Kentucky

Actually no thought of buying it, just saw it and it looked so fake, I thought I would post it. There has been some discussion of how to spot a fake in a generic sense, and I thought this was a good example. If I were deemed wrong, I wanted to know.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

One long-standing and often still reliable method used to detect fakes is by the condition of their surface. In this case, I am not only speaking about the granularity. When you see a coin with the details of a circulated coin yet its surface is "original, as made" - no actual friction wear, it is just one more indication that the coin may not be genuine.

EDIT: :oops: Looks like this was already said.

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

For all the reasons already stated, I'm totally in agreement.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. lucas jackson

lucas jackson Member

12. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thank you for posting this. Very interesting comments!

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Cast copy?

Kentucky likes this.
  14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My gut said fake.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. Michael Clarke

Michael Clarke Well-Known Member

Nero from Heritage just came today. Real or fake? It's description was: SYRIA. Antioch. Nero (AD 54-68). AR tetradrachm (14.32 gm). Dated RY 10 and Year 112 of the Caesarean Era (AD 63/4). Laureate head of Nero right, aegis around neck / Eagle standing right on thunderbolt; palm frond to right; BIP and I (dates) to upper left. McAlee 265b. Prieur 89. RPC I 4189

Nero_008.jpg Nero_004.jpg Nero_001.jpg Nero_003.jpg Nero_005.jpg Nero_006.jpg Nero_007.jpg

Attached Files:

Theodosius, Andres2 and Bing like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Why is it you have doubts on the coin? Your photos make it look a bit overcleaned but not modern.

Mikey Zee and Michael Clarke like this.
  17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's fine....

Michael Clarke likes this.
  18. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I would say real, but by the 1st century AD these Tetradrachms were being debased to 3 Denari or less. This may be why you are questioning the way it looks? It will have a fair amount of base metal in it, though not as bad as issues from Roman Egypt.

Michael Clarke likes this.
  19. Michael Clarke

Michael Clarke Well-Known Member

It's my first and just hard for me to believe such a coin is possible for under $200 or even $1000 for that matter. I'm a US slab guy and since you guys say this is real sure opens up a whole new world for me. Handling it just wonderful. When I heard you guys break them out of slabs I though that was just crazy but now I fully understand.
    Sorry about my photo's my lens is for capturing 8mm film and has no depth of field. Yes I can't wait to start my collection. Anybody want to buy some US slabs? lol

20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Thank you, but no thank you
    Welcome to the world of ancients

Q

Jwt708, Theodosius and Okidoki like this.
  21. Kentucky

Start shopping for an Alexander The Great Tetradrachm or an Athenian Owl... those are a TRIP to handle.

Jwt708 and Michael Clarke like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted