Authentic Confederate bill?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by C-B-D, Feb 20, 2015.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

2015-02-20 17.11.45.jpg 2015-02-20 17.10.39.jpg 2015-02-20 17.11.10.jpg 2015-02-20 17.09.38.jpg 2015-02-20 17.08.02.jpg 2015-02-20 17.08.38.jpg
    It doesn't feel like paper money... just thin fragile paper. The ink looks oxidized and the numbers in ink can be seen thru the reverse. Looks hand cut. Not sure what to think. Thanks for the help!

beef1020 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

The couple of confederate bills I have feel super thin as well. Also the ink bleeding through is a good sign. That usually happens with old bills and shows that the numbers and names are real ink and not printed. The ink is a key to getting real bills. Also most fakes carry the same handful of serial numbers, google a list of them and check. Also a lot of old bills like that are cut slightly off so that's alright. I personally think it's real.

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks OK to me. The paper was very thin, typical of the period.

5. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

It looks legit to me. The paper used at the time is thin and fragile, similar to the 1862 Legal Tender series.

6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me, Criswell Type T-68. Even clicking on a larger image, I can't make out the letter/number in front of the word Series, certain combinations could boost the value.

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It has a tear about a centimeter long and a pin hole. Any idea what it's worth? Roughly? I'll check about the letter/number of the series. It's at my parent's house and I just got back home before the snow storm hits. Thanks folks!

8. doug5353

If it's only got a tiny tear and a pinhole, it's WAAAAAAAAAAY above the average Confederate rag. It's a common type (pending a scarce Series) and you can find plenty of Sold prices on eBay.

C-B-D likes this.
  9. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Looks good to me also and as long a it doesn't have copy somewhere on the bill it should be good.

10. doug5353

"Looks good to me also and as long a it doesn't have copy somewhere on the bill it should be good..."

This is not true. There were MANY high-quality counterfeits of Confederate bills made during the Civil War, and some of them are worth substantially more than a genuine bill. See the Criswell book for a summary of contemporary counterfeits.

11. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The Historical Products Company did not begin to put COPY on their copies until required to by the Hobby Protection Act of 1973. There are many of their copies out there that do not have the word COPY or FACSIMILE on them.

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Try to Google this... as I have lost the site. But there's a Web site that list note as real and copies or counterfeits .
    It by the notes numbers . Sorry I don't have more but I have two notes that did check out to be real using the site.
    I hope this works out for you.

13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Absolutely legit. Not worth much. By far the most printed, most common CSA note. Might be worth $20 with the tears.

Draft saved Draft deleted