Austrian Shipping, Exports, etc.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I know a lot of people are wondering about the new German law and how it all affects shipping to other nations. Austria also has the same challenges. This has been discussed before of course, but I wanted to give an update.

About two months ago I bid on some lots in an Austrian auction. As yet they are not shipped. I have a lot of understanding, so I did not send them any inquiries as I imagine they are swamped with e-mails and the quagmire of law. But yesterday I did send them a quick and simple e-mail asking about the progress. They responded within a few hours (someone was working VERY late at night).

I dont want to break any privacy so I wont quote the e-mail or identify them (unless of course they want to join the group in which case they can say what they wish). As of yesterday they advise that they have obtained export licenses, BUT, the government is only issuing them at a rate of 10 per week. The word they used was 'frustrated' (ooh, I just quoted them. Ah well), and I can certainly understand that. So, they are working with what they have. It is not ideal for the dealers or collectors, but it simply is what we have to deal with. They ask for support and patience. I will give both.

Mikey Zee, rrdenarius, Orfew and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well that's silly, sorry for your troubles.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

They must put the kibosh on the evil coin collectors. Actually, it's just another example of how Orwellian the entire world has become. We must all do our part to throw off these shackles.

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

If collectors did not create market value for ancient coins and artifacts the finders would melt them for bullion. Look at how that has happened in France with their all treasure belongs to the government laws. The institutions could never have the money to create enough market value to stop this from happening. People finding bronze coins would leave them lying in the fields without collector created market value.

Carthago, Mikey Zee and rrdenarius like this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

A rate of 10 per week? For that auction house or for the whole country in general? I hope it's just for the auction house, because if is for the country in general you may finally get your coins by Election Day 2024.

Carausius and Deacon Ray like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, this is terrible news.

The auction house must be panicking by now. What a wrecker for their business and a blow for collectors.

Carausius and Sallent like this.
  8. Sallent

Well, if you are one of those unfortunate collectors I wonder how you'd feel three years from now when a coin comes in the mail and you are like 'when the heck did I buy this?'

I'm sure most people will cancel way before that, but if it was me, I'd probably forget and be stumped when some coin comes in the mail that I've long forgotten I even bought.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  9. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I will try to learn patience with these processes. If we cannot be patient in these matters, the auction houses will be sunk and the cultural property zealots will win.

rrdenarius, Alegandron and Orfew like this.
  10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

That is bad news @Ken Dorney !! I have several items fighting for the longest delivery item. This one took 4 - 5 months when the local permit issuing office did not have that job filled. Times from this company are much better now.
    Cast Sextans Turtle Cr24.7 Tintinna 2.14.15.jpg Cast Sextans Turtle  rev Cr24.7 Tintinna 2.14.15.jpg
    I am glad I bought my cast bars from Germany just before the new (Draconian) regulations took effect.
    cast bar 005.JPG
    5.19.16 009.JPG
    DSCN0192.JPG
    PS - this one is not really blue, but I have given up on trying take a life-like picture.
    The only plus for me is prices may go down with fewer bidders. My mother told me that patience is a virtue.

11. Ken Dorney

Well, the situation is complex and new. Its a learning curve. Assuming free markets continue, well, things will work out. I've been doing this for a lot of time, and I have spoken to many dealers, big and small. Most all seem to agree. This is a big problem but business will simply move to more friendly markets. In the old days London was where the business was. Gradually it moved to Munich. Why? I have no idea (other than it was geographically closer to the Eastern European sources at the time). I suspect that London will become the focal point (once again) for Europe.

Mikey Zee, rrdenarius and Sallent like this.
  12. Ken Dorney

John. You are talking like a Republican or Libertarian. Be carefull. In my past I have learned not to speak of politics or religion (though in some instances I have failed). I have lost many dedicated customers that way. While many profess to be progressive they will drop you like a hot potato if they think you are any label: Republican, Democrat, Independant, Christian, Jew, etc. I will reveal here what I honestly think: I am not any of those things or labels. I am just me. Really, I am just in the middle and certainly not represented as such (especially so in California).

Funny, I have a really good friend and fellow dealer. I have known him for 30 years. We met for a lunch and when I asked for a pastrami sandwich but not on rye but sourdough, he looked me in the eye and commented "Ken, you are not Jewish, are you?". All those years he thought I was. No, I am Irish. He has never done business with me since.

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Gosh, Ken. I thought you were a Robot. You may want to change your Avatar! That is misleading! :D

Paul M. and Jwt708 like this.
  14. Sallent

@John Anthony @Ken Dorney Blah, I'm dropping the lot of you because my feelings are hurt :arghh::drowning:

Nah, just kidding! I honestly could care less what your politics are or what, if anything, you believe in. That's your personal opinion on stuff and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. You believe whatever crazy stuff you want to believe in, and I'll believe whatever crazy stuff I believe in...and we can all still be coin bros and share our passion for ancient coins.

Now, back to the topic at hand, I think the UK is going to benefit tremendously from leaving the EU and these draconian "Cultural Protection" laws. I mean, seriously...do you think a Gordian III denarius leaving Germany or whatever other country is going to irreparably harm their culture? Most of these coins, although "rare" by modern standards, are hardly unique and their museums are already stuffed with all the ancient coins they could possibly ever want, including most of the ones you could truly call unique or extremely rare. In fact, these museums have so many they don't know what to do with them and simply stuff them in some coin drawer in a basement where no one will ever see them, except for the rare occasion a coin expert or scholar wants to drop by and look at them.

Paul M., rrdenarius and Orfew like this.
  15. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Seriously, Ken, pastrami NOT on rye?? I'd drop you too. ;)

Carthago, Jwt708, Orfew and 1 other person like this.
  16. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Make it a Montreal smoked meat on rye for me please. Do not forget the pickle!

17. Sallent

Being Cuban and all, I should be offended your sandwich did not include an unhealthy quantity of pork. We add a side of pork to anything and everything. If we can have pork for breakfast, pork for lunch, and pork for dinner, we would. So much so that I know two Cubans who are Jewish, and they also eat pork. LOL.

Our motto is, When in doubt, just add pork!

la-caja-china.jpg

Hispanicus, zumbly, Paul M. and 4 others like this.
  18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The import restrictions on coin collectors get more and more Draconian, as another collector put it, despite all the logic you can throw at the politicians who make the laws. Time and time again, it has been proven with hard data that collectors are the BEST conservators of coins for myriad reasons. Politicians do not care about coins - they care about regulations. When they choose to defy all logic, common sense, and data, and exercise control over situations that function normally with minimal control, it is not a stretch to call them Orwellian.

I'll take a side of ribs. :)

Carthago likes this.
  19. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

If there's a will, there will be a way.;) Sallent, the best part of that pig is the cheek meat. roasted jowls are the best!!:)

Sallent and Alegandron like this.
  20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Some collectors seem to generalize a lot. As you know from the various topics here about the Federal Cultural Property Law in Germany, a pretty common coin is not actually affected by those export restrictions. Dealers may still be more careful and hesitant these days. And yes, I agree that the UK leaving the EU will be a good thing - problem is that the UK has so far failed to even start the process. Don't want to get political, but I am not sure what takes them so long.

Christian

Alegandron likes this.
  21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted