Austrian Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rgs1975, Oct 6, 2003.

1. rgs1975

rgs1975 New Member

Hi,

Can anyone tell me about the 1954 Austrian aluminum-bronze 20 Groschen. I've heard it's a rare coin but can find little about it and it's value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

There were 5,343,000 common strike aluminium - bronze Austrian 20 groschen produced in 1954.

However, there is a proof strike example (that is, a coin which has been struck using specially prepared blanks, and polished dies ). The proof struck coin is extremely difficult to come across, and would fetch upwards of $100 IF (and that is a BIG IF) it was in pristine condition. Anything less than `pristine' / good as the day it was first minted / no finger prints/ no if's or but's.../ but PRISTINE...then it would be worth as little as it's ordinary brothers.

As far as I can tell there were only a few hundred or so of the 1954 20 groschen struck as `proofs' and they were distributed to collectors and dignatories. They rarely appear on the market. The bad news is that I would think that your one is likely to be the common strike type. If that is the case, then it is worth about 10 cents in a (noticeably) worn condition up to $2 in `pristine' (per Krause Mischler `Standard Catalogue of World Coins' reference `Austria' KM2877).

Hope that helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted