Austria: silver 3-kreuzer of Leopold I ("The Hogmouth"), 1700-IA, minor clipped planchet error

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 15, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. 9

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. 8

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. 7

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. 5

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. 4

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Austria: silver 3-kreuzer of Leopold I ("The Hogmouth"), 1700-IA, minor clipped planchet error
    Hogmouth-frame.png

Obverse: Portrait right and titles of Leopold I.
    Reverse: Three shields in inner circle, date at top. "IA" mintmaster initials at bottom.
    Issuer: Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor (1658-1705), Archduke of Austria (as Leopold VI), etc., etc.
    Specifications: Silver, 20 mm, 1.3 g approx. (unrecorded prior to encapsulation). Graz mint.
    Grade: PCGS MS64; cert. #38580860.
    Reference: KM-1115, PCGS-445157, Numista-26235, Her.1364*.
    Provenance: ex-Halbedel Münzen und Medallien, Salzburg, Austria, 10 May 2019. Purchased raw.
    Notes: This coin, like many of its era, was produced on roller dies, an early machine process that replaced the ancient hand-hammering technique. Coins made on roller dies were often very slightly curved and not quite flat. This one is not especially warped but has a slightly clipped planchet, which is also not uncommon.
    Comments: Leopold I, of the House of Habsburg, had a very distinctive appearance due to his "Habsburg Jaw" (mandibular prognathism). This was a genetic result of inbreeding between royals. His unflattering but colorful nickname was "the Hogmouth". (I'll bet no one dared call him that in person!)

Hogmouth-frame.png Hogmouth-TrueView.jpg

Hogmouth-black.png

Hogmouth-gradient.png

Hogmouth-white.png

Hogmouth-slab.jpg

Hogmouth-GIF.gif

015303S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting.. Is it really an Incomplete planchet or are you thinking it was clipped (damaged) after the coin was struck? It wasn't attributed as a clipped issue unless the submitter didn't ask for the attribution.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

I was the submitter and no, I didn't ask for attribution. It is not post-mint damage but rather a product of the way the blanks were punched out of the strip of metal. A mintmade clipped planchet error, in other words.

However, this commands no premium on an earlier coin like this, since it was a fairly normal quality control issue at the time. Only on a more modern coin (produced to more exacting standards) would a clipped planchet error be something special. In this case, it's just an interesting minor quirk but neither adds nor detracts from the coin's value.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Got it.. I will give LEOPOLDUS an 8 then..
    That's one ugly man :yack: but great hair!
    Thanks for sharing!

Seattlite86 and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Ugly was half the appeal, here. Leopold would not be half as interesting if he had been handsome, without being nicknamed "Hogmouth". You gotta love that stuff, right? ;)

Oh, and yes- he did have fantastic hair. (Though it was probably a wig.)

[​IMG]

(Not my coin- this was in the Wikipedia article.)

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Great coin, but in that grade I would have preferred one without the clip. Just my opinion

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

(Extremely belated reply):

The clip doesn't bother me at all. It's kind of a fun little quirk, as I see it. Besides, in this grade (or any others, for that matter), there aren't any other 1700-IA examples- at least not in PCGS plastic. This is the only one! (Population 1, none higher, as of this post.)

Draft saved Draft deleted