Austria M. Theresa; Variety Help!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by I.L. McDougal, Sep 17, 2015.

1. I.L. McDougal

I.L. McDougal Active Member

I think I may have tentatively identified this Austria States Maria Theresa Thaler as a Gunzburg standard Burgau SF restrike. However, I am grossly unfamiliar with Austrian State coins as I collect primarily German State.

I know there are a wide amount of varieties in the strikes on these and just want to see if I missed anything that would indicate one of these non-standard varieties..

Any input would be a great help! Thanks!

20150917_075210.jpg

Hispanicus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I was under the impression that these have been restruck by MANY mints. Are there some that are worth more than others?

4. I.L. McDougal

Yes quite a few. I believe this is just a modern restrike out of Vienna, but I am hoping someone can confirm this for me.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Gotta' look at mine, I bought a half-dozen some years back.

6. I.L. McDougal

I didn't highlight it, but the presence of the V rather than a U in AVST as well as the shape of the number 7 are the indicators of a modern re-strike, when you start looking at your coins. (From what I understand)

7. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I tried attributing a few of these about a year ago, and gave up.
    Now, I just throw the lusterous MTTs in one pile, and the few examples I have that have been circulated in another.

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

9. I.L. McDougal

Great visual comparison link. Thank you. I'm pretty confident at this point that it's just a re-strike MTT. First time looking at one, so I always want as much information as possible!

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

11. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

There are a few folks over at coincommunity that are very good with MTTs.

12. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Looks to be one of the more recent Vienna restrikes. Worth melt value.

13. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Silly question: Why restrike this coin? And in Calcutta or London?

14. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Straight answer: because it's so neat looking. This coin was common currency in, among other places, Ethiopia into the 20th century, which is why the Italians decided to mint their own "Tallero" variant ERTallero1918.jpg to circulate in Eritrea.

Draft saved Draft deleted