Australian currency and coins

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by LA_Geezer, Jun 19, 2019.

1. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I was just handed an envelope from the Southern Cross Hotel in Dunedin NZ. The donor just said, "Enjoy."

In the envelope a $10 note as shown below and seven coins in 5, 10, 20, 50 cents and $1 and $2 denominations the dates on the cents coins range from 1971 through 1983; the two dollar coins are both 1983 and look brand new. The others are in EX to AU condition.

It would appear that the $10 note is a commemorative, and from what little I have learned of it the value is a good deal more than face. It is nearly perfect, and is like this one I found at eBay (seller's photo):

[​IMG]

Although I'm sure the friend meant these as gifts, I would not be willing to accept them without some payment to him if these have any measurable worth to them. Your opinions, please.

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

congratulations, looks like you may have been a recipient of the Great American Coin Hunt.... :D:woot:
    (thats a good lookin note)

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have been given gifts that hold more intrinsic value than I am comfortable receiving before. And I have tried to counter those gifts the same way, by offering cash in return. I have found that typically makes for a more awkward scenario. Usually the gifter truly wants you to enjoy his offering. That in itself is a gift to them..... Perhaps you could simply offer and say that this gift is of intrinsic value and that you would feel terrible if you didn't at least offer a monetary return. In which case they will likely counter by saying, no I just wanted you to have it.

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I'd say don't worry about profits and values with this kind of thing. Just enjoy the items for what they are. In fact, it would seem the friend/donor has had these items since 1983 or perhaps inherited or were given to them by someone they know or knew. In a way, you're doing them a favor by taking them off their hands as they no longer have to find a place to store them.

Were I the friend, their value could be $50 or $100, etc. but I wouldn't care and would find a nice "Thank you" to be sufficient and nothing more. So like I say, don't sweat the possible value and just enjoy them.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. lettow

lettow Senior Member

There is more than one variety of the $10.00 note. One is more scarce than the other.

7. LA_Geezer

Well, I can tell you that if I had his money I'd throw mine away ;) but as he is my age and in even poorer health, giving him money for them wouldn't be at the top of my list. You are right, of course.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. LA_Geezer

This is very true as I have just discovered. The one in the photo has a date in the top right corner while the one I have has none.

Draft saved Draft deleted