Australian 5c - Error or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by cdb1950, Apr 15, 2005.

1. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

I recently acquired an odd piece. Looks like a die adjustment strike of an Australian 5c piece, at first glance. It has all the right characteristics, with only portions of the highest points of the dies on both sides imparting design elements, but the planchet doesn't look at all like you'd expect. There is no evidence of wear, no sign that the surface of the piece has been tampered with, but it doesn't look like it is a regualer planchet, either. A regular Australian 5c piece has a reeded edge, this has no trace of a reeded edge. The diameter is the same on both coins. Haven't weighed it yet, but I think they are very close in weight.

Any thoughts? It looks to me almost like they used a test planchet to set up the dies...??

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I would think there are two possibilities - one being that someone did a very poor job of trying to make a cast copy, the least likely IMO. And the other that a genuine coin was dipped in a very harsh acid.

When planchets are manufactured the surfaces are smooth. But the surfaces here are very pitted - that to me leaves out any possibility of a test strike.

4. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Well, poop. Looks like a dipped coin duped me. The pits sure seem to preclude any type of an original struck surface. I'm pretty sure it isn't cast, either. Thanks! CBD

5. secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel New Member

The coin isn't an error except for the fact someone forgot to take it out of thier pocket before going through the washing machine. I have a few in most denominations and most i have i actually got out of the drainage hose or pump of washing machines.
    Sorry to have to let you down :(
    This has to be one of the most common coins i get asked about in oz.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Boy I'd sure hate to see THOSE clothes :eek:

If laundry detergent can disolve metal - what's it do to cloth ?? :eek: :eek:

7. secretsquirrel

It's not so much the detergent but that does also help to kill the coin. It's more the constant flow of water over the coin surface that wares it away.

8. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

I agree that it's not a genuine error. The pitted surface, the somewhat soft outlines of the design elements that are present, and the lack of an upset rim, all indicate alteration outside the mint,

9. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Can you post a photo of one of your coins? Thanks!

10. secretsquirrel

Sorry i've been away for a while taking care of my other place of interest. I will dig out some sometime soon and get scans up. My time is very limited at the moment sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted