Australia (Melbourne): copper penny trade token; John Andrew & Co., Drapers, 1862

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 7, 2021.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this item, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 9

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. 8

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Australia (Melbourne): copper penny trade token; John Andrew & Co., Drapers, 1862
    01-AussieToken-frame.png

Obverse: MELBOURNE / Jno. ANDREW & Co DRAPERS & C. / 11 LONSDALE St. WEST. (“Jno.” is an old-fashioned abbreviation for “John”.)
    Reverse: VICTORIA / 1862; emu and kangaroo, facing, on grassy ground. Tiny maker's mark in exergue reads: COARD / LONDON.
    Issuer: John Andrew & Co., Drapers, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Struck in London, UK.
    Specifications: Copper, 34 mm, 2.7 mm thick. Medal alignment (↑↑).
    Grade: NGC MS62 BN, cert #2805276-011.
    Reference: Krause-Mishler-Tn15, Numista-59099.
    Provenance: ex-Chris Bower, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA ("Chris B" on CoinTalk). From his "WCN" (World Coin Nut) collection on the NGC Registry. Acquired in a swap, 16 September 2020.
    Notes: Per Museums Victoria: "John Andrew was apprenticed to the drapery trade in Glasgow and was later successful in his own drapery business in Scotland. He migrated to Australia in 1853."
    Comments: The quintessentially Australian "emu-and-kangaroo" motif here is of course what makes this token appealing to me, and no doubt to many other collectors as well. I believe these tokens are relatively scarce.

01-AussieToken-frame.png
    02-AussieToken-black.png
    03-AussieToken-gradient.png
    04-AussieToken-white.png
    05-AussieToken-coinscape.png
    06-AussieToken-obv.png
    07-AussieToken-rev.png
    08-AussieToken-slab.png

027500S

Chris B, spirityoda, Railguy and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Agree that the token has a very attractive obverse design. Nice it is of a large size as well. :happy:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Technically the side with the merchant’s name is the obverse, though in my images (and the NGC slab), the emu/kangaroo side is displayed as the predominant side.

The surfaces look nicer and more even brown in hand than they do in these photos (which were taken through the plastic). I attempted to cross this piece over to PCGS, and would have had TrueView imaging if that had happened, but it failed to cross.

happy_collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted