Australia Map Shaped Coin Series

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by wcoins, Feb 3, 2014.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

What do you think of these? Just 6000 of each design made, interesting or at least unusual shape, I like them.
    map-shaped (1).jpg 2013-Australian-Map-Shaped-Platypus-Silver-Coin.jpg map-shaped.jpg 2012-Australian-Map-Shaped-Emu-Silver-Coin.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I would hesitate to call them coins. Interesting shape and the fact that they are 1oz silver is the only thing that really peaks my interest. I personally wouldn't pay a premium on them though.

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As for the map shape, that has been done before. Here are two "coins" from or for Nauru - one has a map of Germany, another one shows parts of Europe. (Oddly enough they added the UK and Serbia for example, which have nothing to do with the common currency, as "bridges" to "remote" euro countries maybe - but left out Finland.) This Australian set has nice images, but I would not buy it. Too far away from coins that are used as means of payment. ;)

Christian

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

They're kinda cool ... I don't mind the map shape, but I am not a huge fan of painted-coins (it's a bit too bad that they aren't struck-designs)

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i dont care for them, i consider colorized coins damaged and the odd shape? no, looks like something you would find at the souvenir stand in an airport..

Hiddendragon likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i like strange shaped coins...squares and hexagons and such...but i don't think i could get into those...it does look very "souvenir" like doesn't it? or like a key chain?

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It would be interesting if all nations of the world made a similar bullion coin in the shape of their respective country. The coins could be assembeled as a puzzle of the World. (It's not going to happen but it would be an interesting collection). Different countries could be made of different metals.

I do have a 0.5 m globe of the earth where each country is made of a precision cut piece of stone. Different stones are used for the different countries.

stevex6 likes this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

What an awesome idea!! => a numismatic puzzle of earth (that's a potential money-maker, my friend!!)

=> you should patent the 'map' that fits this collection (a tasteful desk-top, or wall-mount, where you could insert the coins from each country) ... it is a great potential-idea (ummm, or am I merely still hung-over from yesterday's Super-Bowl partying?)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted