Aurelian Tet

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Smojo, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I previously shared this coin in a post several days ago. But they were the sellers photo. It finally arrived the other day so I decided to share it again. My photos may not be the greatest but I think I've improved. I also believe the bulb in my light source needs changed.
    354.jpg

This time it's a Tet of Aurelian.
    Aurelian born in 214 AD He rose through the ranks of the military to become one of Romes greatest generals.
    In 268 Aureolus rebelled against Gallienus.
    As a calvary commander he took part of a seige of Mediolanus (Milan). It was there he became part of a plot to murder Gallienus.
    It was Claudius II Gothicus that was the preferred choice to replace Galleinus.
    When Claudius II died in 270 Aurelian moved quickly to claim the throne himself.
    For some great reading refer to this site, http://www.roman-empire.net/decline/aurelian.html
    Aurelian was murdered in 275 near Byzantium (Istanbul Turkey).

Aurelian, Alexandre RP
    Bill on Tetradrachm 270-275 AD 20.8mm, 6.97g die axis 0°
    Aug. 273-Aug. 274
    Obv: AKA AOM AYPHAIANOC CEB; Laureate and cuirassed bust, Right
    Rev: ETOVC E (year 5) ; Eagle standing Left, head turned back Right, wreath in beak, star Left
    RX 79880. Billow Tet, Dattari 5476; Milne 4420; Curtiss 1770; Geissen 3082; Kampmann-Gansechow 106.41; BMC Alexandria p. 306, 2359 SNG MILAN 1972; SNG COP-aVF
    ( I used A in liu of symbol)
    20160827_105819_1472314078163.jpg 20160827_110006_1472314104735.jpg
    Post anything you want to share

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thumbs up for Roman Egyptian coins! :)

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Aurelian
    Year 4, CE 272/3
    tetradrachm, 21x23 mm, 9.6 gm
    Obv: AVTKΛΔAVPHΛIANOCCEB; laureate bust right
    Rev: eagle flying right, head left, wreath in talons; L Δ in right field
    Ref: Emmett 3933.4, R1

Translation of legend abbreviations:

AVT K Λ Δ AVPHΛIANOC CEB
    Imperator Caesar Lucius Domitius Aurelianus Augustus
    L Δ
    year 4

TJC, dlhill132, Hispanicus and 11 others like this.
  4. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

You always have nice ones to share, @TIF

Sallent and TIF like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

No tets, just an ant.

Looks like your new one has some BD on the reverse/center.

[​IMG]
    Aurelian (270 - 275 A.D.)
    Æ Antoninianus
    O: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: ORIENS AVG , Sol advancing left, raising right hand, globe in left, flanked by two captives at feet, txxt in ex
    Ticinum Mint 2nd Emission. 3rd Officina
    3.81g
    RIC 151

6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I saw that to @Mat, it's soaking at this moment. It's tiny in comparison to what I just went through. I got it from FAC so it suprised me wheen I saw it.

Mat likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That is one muscular chicken reverse :p.
    th.jpg
    Aurelian 8.jpg

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Smojo , great Alexandrian Tet! Like Mat, I only have a couple Ants...

Aurelian:
    upload_2016-8-27_17-43-12.png

And, you said something about Aureolus rebelling... I have one of his too...
    upload_2016-8-27_17-44-26.png

9. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

HaHa post what you have. I like seeing what everyone has. Interesting & to see coins I've not seen before.

Alegandron likes this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Smojo => that's a sweet OP-winner (congrats)

Sadly, I don't have a Tet, but I do have this cool long-necked example ...

Aurelian a.jpg Aurelian b.jpg

11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

@stevex6 in that a Greg Brady? Where the hell do you find that stuff.
    Them long necks are goofy. I was looking through my ancients the other day, I found a Contantius II that was given to me by Anoob I'd forgotten all about it.

stevex6 likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

It was Greg Brady yesterday ... I change my avatar fairly regularly

=> today "Nancy" seemed about right

Smojo likes this.
  13. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

As @Mat noticed my Tet had some BD on the reverse. I treated the same way as I did my Ant. with BD. It came out great BD gone & all around looks different in a good way.

15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Great posts!!!

No Tets of Aurelian but I did snag a few Ants over the last several months...
    aurel silvered obverse.jpg aurel silvered reverse with sol.jpg aurelianus soldiers.JPG Aureliam obverse.jpg aureliam reverse.jpg

dlhill132, icerain, stevex6 and 6 others like this.
  16. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Better late than never. I had been looking for an Egyptian Tet with sharp lettering for a while, some of them can have mushy letters from worn dies. This one is crisp and fit the bill so I pulled the trigger on it.

Aurelianus Tet Obv.jpg Aurelianus Tet Rev.jpg
    Aurelian AE, 9.92 grams, Bust right with eagle facing left, wreath in beak. Struck 272-273. This coin is hefty and feels the way money should feel.

dlhill132, icerain, Bing and 5 others like this.
  17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

That is a nice Tet. Youre right hard to find at a decent cost anyway for a nice sharp legend. For a sharp strike for that matter. They get better towards the end

18. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

This coin of Aurelian was struck in Antioch. It's the best that I own from that Emperor. BTW.. I don't understand the difference between Aurelian and Aureolus.

Aurel XXI Ant  Ric 386.jpg Aurel Syria     Hoard I-31.jpg

19. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong. They are 2 different people. While Aurelius started the rebelion. Aurelian actually had a small role in the actual murder of Gallienus.

20. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I think it's not Aurelius ,the like of Marcus Aurelius. The name is probably Aureolus.
    I'm really interested in this name because I noticed the image of this bearded man on a coin that was offered to me yesterday. I couldn't identify it until I saw it in this thread within Alegandron's reply.

Alegandron likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Aurelian was an emperor of considerable importance who issued many coins. Aureolus was a bit player in the struggle for power in the time of Gallienus and Postumus whose name appears on no coins but who is credited with the issue of coins in Postumus' name from the Milan mint. Many coin sellers use his name to distinguish this issue and justify a higher price for them but you could just collect the coins as Postumus and leave him out of it. Aurelius was a very common name for men after the time of Marcus Aurelius and quite a few of them were either emperors of usurpers in the third century.

It is necessary to read every letter in Roman names and even then we have a few that match exactly. Renaming oneself to include well know names of men of power to whom you had no real family attachment was quite fashionable in the day.

An 'Aureolus':
    rx1930bb1699.jpg

Smojo, 7Calbrey, Mikey Zee and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted