Aurelian- Restitutor Orbis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, May 26, 2021.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

The only man fit for the title!
    My newest addition.
    3.83g
    Cyzicus mint
    AUR REST.png
    So all the refrences say the entity holding the wreath as just a 'woman', but does anyone who that is specifically? is it Victory? although she has wings.

galba68, Ryro, cmezner and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

No clue, my example.

aur.jpeg
    (S) Antoninianus
    O: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: RESTITVTOR ORBIS, woman standing right, presenting wreath to Aurelian standing left, leaning on sceptre, suppliant captive between them. * Δ in exergue.
    4.2mm
    21mm
    RIC V-1, Cyzicus 349 var.

Ryro, galba68, Alegandron and 6 others like this.
  4. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

A really nice type of historic significance. I always thought it is victory even while the wings are often hard to see. Looking at other Restitutor types it also could be the personification of the world? Here two examples from my collection (Serdica and Antioch mint):
    Restitutor 1.png Restitutor 2.png

Ryro, galba68, dougsmit and 4 others like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree with wittwolf. Some see wings, some see a fold in the long robe. Dies differ as do what has happened to coins over time. I can accept 'woman'.
    rs2330bb1413.jpg rs2335bb2850.jpg

PeteB, JayAg47, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This denarius demonstrates victory from the period. Those are 'wings'.
    rs2360bb1886.jpg

PeteB, JayAg47, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Only have an Aurelian Antoninianus as Restitutor Orientis - guess he didn't restitute yetthe Orbis:D On this issue it is Oriens who is handing him the wreath. By analogy on the Restitutor Orbis issue it is maybe Orbis (The World).

Aurelian leaves a very strong numismatic legacy for his five years as emperor. His coins, 99% or more of which are Antoniniani, are available. They turn up regularly even sold in bulk. The bust type of this series can be radiate and draped, or radiate and cuirassed. The officina letter can be S or P, and the emperor on the reverse can be laureate or radiate. All these have the same RIC number.

Antoninianus, Mediolanum, 270 - 275 AD
    19 x 21 mm, 4.195 g
    RIC V Aurelian 140;

Ob.: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG Bust of Aurelian, radiate, cuirassed, right
    Rev.: RESTITVT OR/IENTIS Aurelian, standing left, holding spear in left hand, extending r. hand, receiving wreath from Oriens, standing right; mintmark P

upload_2021-5-26_13-36-16.png upload_2021-5-26_13-36-24.png

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    JayAg47, Ryro, Bing and 2 others like this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

We had this discussion quite recently in another thread, and I think the general consensus was that the reverse figure on my Aurelian Restitutor Orbis indeed has wings behind her -- albeit faint -- and, therefore, must indeed be Victory .

Aurelian antoninianus jpg version.jpg

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Strong portrait with some nice detail. Reminds me that I need to up my Aurelian game. He is one of my very favorite Emperors of Rome:
    Screenshot_20200919-192257_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png Screenshot_20200919-192404_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png Screenshot_20200919-192148_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

10. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Indeed this was discussed here
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-aurelian-restored-the-roman-empire.380021/page-2#post-7537881

On almost all the examples you could see traces of wings so I also suspect it is Victory, although when I researched my coin I found "Female (Orbis Terrarum) standing right presents wreath to Aurelian standing left. Small figure kneeling between."

upload_2021-5-27_0-43-3.png

My coin has a ultra rare reverse variety, a headless Victory crowning a headless Aurelian with an invisible crown.

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wouldn't surprise me if Henry VIII traveled back in time and arranged for that to happen.:dead:

Roman Collector likes this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have two Restitutors, one Serdican and one Cyzican.

Aurelian AE Ant RIC Serdica 388A.JPG

Serdica does NOT appear to have wings; rather the lines on the back of the female appear to be a rendering of the drapery.

Aurelian BI Ant Cyzicus mmA.JPG

On the other side, Cyzicus has what is clearly not part of the drapery, but not quite a wing, if we compare it with an Aurelian denarius with an actual wing:
    Aurelian Denarius RIC 73.jpg
    However, Cyzicus could be a wing if its tucked close to the back, and not spread out like the majority of advancing victories tend to have.

But at least, for certain my Serdican example is NOT a victory, or at least if she is, she's a wingless victory.

wittwolf, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  13. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Could it be just his wife Severina? I mean she really had some influence back then!

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice "restituror orbis" all around

0490-310.jpg
    Aurelian, Aurelianus - Serdica mint, AD 274-275
    IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust of Aurelianus right
    RESTITUT OR BIS, Pax with laurel wreath she gives to Aurelian. In field *, at ex. KA.A.
    4.15 gr
    Ref : RCV #11592, Cohen #192

Q

15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Pax! First time I heard that. Makes sense, though.

Cucumbor likes this.
  16. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have seen it referred to as Orbis Terrarum.

@DonnaML - I personally have my doubts about wings on your example. I suspect that what is being seen as wings is the remnant of the cloak from a previous strike as part of a slightly rotated double strike. My evidence for this is the doubled staff rotated at the same axis on the RHS.

DonnaML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted