Augustus Provincial Æ Dupondius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, May 5, 2013.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I few weeks back I purchased this nice large Roman provincial Dupondius. I have a lot of Augustus coins, but the reverse on this with the legionary standards caught my eye. Plus I visited Cordoba last year so it has special meaning to me. I haven't been able to specifically date it, so any help would be appreciated.

Augustus Æ 31 Dupondius
    OBV: PERMISSV CAESARIS AVGVSTI, bare head left
    REV: COLONIA PATRICIA, aquila between legionary standards
    Struck at Colonia Patricia (Cordoba - Spain), exact year unknown
    18g, 31 mm
    RPC 128, SNG Cop 464
    Augustus19 obv.jpg Augustus19 rev.jpg

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

The reverse (or what I think is the reverse) reminds me of the reverse of a Merc Dime. Cool coin!

4. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Really nice JW!:thumb:

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Shabaammmm!!! => oh my, that's 31 mm of awesome Bing-ness! (very pretty my good man, very pretty indeed!!)

:bow:

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thanks everyone. It's too bad there is the rub on the bust. I'm still looking for a little help on dating this coin.

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Only found this: This type was probably struck for Augusts' visit to Colonia Patricia, c. 15 - 14 B.C."

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

man, I'm lovin' the patina on that ol' green-dawg!! (I find it very eye-appealing, even with the "rub" on the obverse)

Date? ... ummm, May 05th

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Nice coin! I'll guess that the scrape is the result of a professional archaeologist finding the coin and scraping it on a brick to see what metal it was made of. Certainly it could have been a looter looking for gold but I would expect a looter to realize that the scrape would reduce the price of the find by 50% so he might treat it better than someone who gets paid either way.

10. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

jw, how you doing my friend, we have a beautiful day here in the Great NW..i love this coin's color, nice big boy, legionary standard Reverse is awesome, it looks like you have some heavy tooling going on the obverse.;) well done...:thumb::thumb:

11. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Really?

12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Very nice coin! I've got a semis of Augustus from Colonia Patricia with a similar patina. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't done any research on these particular provincials yet, so I can't help with dating. I should really stop buying coins and catch up on my homework.

[​IMG]

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Years ago I was introduced to the term 'brick cleaned' by a person who had no use for coins compared to the better things found in museums. Coins are used to date other things but that use requires them to be readable but not pretty. How common was this? I do not know. I suspect the idea was more common a hundred years ago than in more recent times.

14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'd like to find the clown that did that and give HIM a good brick cleaning.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

how true, eh? => one man's brick-cleaner is another man's trophy-horse!!

Draft saved Draft deleted