Augustus lived for 77 years, 41 years Emperor.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I have recently been watching the different portrait styles on Augustus's coinage, this Emperor who in Jan 27 BC was bestowed upon Octavian (his previous title) the offices of Consul, Censor, Tribune and Imperator for life
    and wen't on to reign for 41 years. I think it would be of great interest to
    all Roman coin collectors to see the changes in his portrait character over
    these 41 years, I have a few but I will start it with one of his earliest 25 BC
    Ephesus (probability) 26mm, 11.3 gm RPC 2235, RIC 486 and another near
    the end of his reign 9-14 AD Lugdunum. 27mm, 10.77gm, RIC 1 233. It's up to you guy's to post the portraits in between. A1448.jpeg 2015-01-07 01.08.12-16.jpg

dlhill132, Ajax, stevex6 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

This one dates to 19-18 BC, when he was in his mid-40s.

upload_2016-8-15_16-25-22.png
    AUGUSTUS
    Moneyers' Series
    AR Denarius. 3.64g, 19.9mm, Rome mint, 19-18 BC, P. Petronius Turpilianus, moneyer. RIC 297 (R2). O: CAESAR AVGVSTVS, bare head right. R: P PETRON TVRPILIAN III VIR, Pegasus walking right.

Augustus came to be very conscious about how his image was projected, so on most of his coinage, what the average Roman saw was what he wanted them to see. Even his very last issues (like the ones with the 'Tribute Penny' reverse) tend to show a good-looking man in the prime of his life rather than a decrepit one in his mid-70s.

I find interesting his portraits as Octavian, particularly the earlier ones, when many probably still wrote him off as a young upstart with little future. For example, it's clear to see on the Antony/Octavian double-header who was being portrayed as the man and who the boy, even when he was already 22 years old.

upload_2016-8-15_16-25-29.png
    TRIUMVIRS / MARK ANTONY & OCTAVIAN
    M. Barbatius Pollio, quaestor pro praetore
    AR Denarius. 3.57g, 20.3mm. Ephesus mint, Spring-early summer 41 BC. Crawford 517/2; CRI 243; Sydenham 1181. O: M ANT IMP AVG III VIR R P C M BARBAT Q P, head of Antony right. R: CAESAR IMP PONT III VIR R P C, head of Octavian right.

dlhill132, stevex6, Paul M. and 17 others like this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Thanks, that's the info that makes this subject so interesting.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  6. Ancient Aussie

Nice coin Andres2 fine style for at the end of his reign.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Augustus Caesar, BC 27 - 14 AD
    AE, As, 9.5g, 27mm; 2h; Rome mint, BC 6
    Obv.:CAESAR AVGVSTVS PONT MAX TRIBVNIC POT; bare head right
    Rev.: A LICIN NERVA SILIAN IIIVIR AAAFF around large SC with dot between
    Moneyer Aulus Licinius Nerva Silianus, consul in AD 7, was the son of Publius Silius, consul in 20 BC, but was adopted into the family of the Licinii Nervae. I'm not really sure when this one was minted. Maybe my notes says something.

[​IMG]
    Octavian, 27 BC - AD 14
    AE32, 16g, 6h; Colonia Celsa.
    Obv.: II VIR COL V I CELSA; bare head of Octavian right.
    Rev.: Bull right; L.POMPE.BVCCO above, L.CORNE.FRONT (moneyers).
    The above coin is believed to predate him being made Augustus.

[​IMG]
    Caesar Augustus, 27 BC - AD 14
    Æ24, 8g, 12h; Antioch mint, 4/5 BC.
    Obv.: AΡXIEΡEI KAIΣAΡ ΣEB; Laureate head right.
    Rev.: AΡXIE / ΡATIKON / ANTIO/ XEIΣ / ZK within wreath of an archiereus.

dlhill132, stevex6, Paul M. and 13 others like this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Thanks Jwt708 that's a nice set of early portraits.

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice coins, everyone! A nice denarius of Augustus is perpetually on "the list" but other coins keep getting ahead of him in line :D.

Here's a decent Nemausus of him with Agrippa (Augustus is on the right), but it doesn't seem to be a very realistic portrait. It doesn't look much like his Imperial portraits.

Nomos-COL-NEM-RT_edited-2.jpg
    Augustus & Agrippa
    struck c. 10 BCE - CE 10, Nemausus
    AE dupondius
    Obv: IMP/DIVI F, back-to-back heads of Agrippa, in combined rostral crown & laurel wreath, and Augustus, laureate
    Rev: COL - NEM; palm tree, top bent top right with a wreath above; crocodile chained to palm tree
    Ref: RIC 158; AMC 425; Cohen 10; RPC 524

stevex6, Paul M., icerain and 14 others like this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

At least his nose is in your one TIF, I am going to write in and complain about my one. NMf52W3dH5c6Ts3Xr8TaCaD97Pifz4.jpg

11. Ancient Aussie

I apologize for my use of dealers pics, i have photographed most of my coins, but I did it quite a while ago, I would take the shot on top off the 2 x 2 before I would insert/close it that way you get the info without the glare/reflection of plastic, back then I did not think I was going to be presenting on CT. A sample. 2015-01-07 01.08.14-9.jpg

dlhill132, Paul M., icerain and 11 others like this.
  12. Ancient Aussie

That's a nice coin TIF, the main difference seems to be the length of his nose, I think he shortened it up for his Imperial portraits.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Five fourree denarii that span the period:

With Caesar as adoptee:
    ra8740bb0207.jpg

With Antony as triumvir:
    ra8110bb0202.jpg

Very shortly before becoming Augustus 30-27 BC:
    re0860bb0375.jpg

With Caius and Lucius when there was still hope for succession:
    re0880bb0317.jpg

With Tiberius very shortly before death:
    re0900bb0534.jpg

All these are available in high grade, full silver models as an option for those who prefer their coins top drawer. Fourrees of this period are extremely common so I do recommend buyers of expensive coins learn to tell the differences even when the silver is unbroken.

dlhill132, stevex6, Paul M. and 15 others like this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

15. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Adrian Goldsworthy in his book "Augustus: From Revolutionary to Emperor" states that Augustus refused to allow "up to date" images of himself on coins or statues. You won't find an image of Augustus not in his prime.

dlhill132, stevex6, Paul M. and 11 others like this.
  16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

77 years was equivalent to three lifetimes during that era. The lifespan of the average Roman Emperor was about 2.5-3 years. Of course mortality must have been on their minds constantly - so they lived it up while they could.

17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful posts everyone!!

It seems @Pishpash hit the nail on the head....Augustus always appears young and virile---in his prime and never old like me LOL

I'll throw in one that differs a bit (Oops, I just noticed JWT posted one) and has a very nice portrait---a Provincial bronze from Antioch (22 mm) struck circa 5/4 BC----pushing 60 about this time:
    Aug p0vincial obverse.JPG Aug povincial reverse.JPG

18. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Augustus didn't. He generally ate sparsely, his furniture was simple, Livia was often seen through the open doorway working on her loom. Presumably a message to the people.

Eduard, Volodya, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  19. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Since I just posted the above already 'listed' bronze, I'll throw in these examples---Octavian fourree denarius (Crocodile reverse) and a commemorative denarius of 'Augustus with a very youthful JC; the former dates about 28 BC and the latter circa 27 BC-14 AD: octavian fourree denar with croc.jpg
    Aug and caesar comemorative denarius.jpg

Eduard, Orfew, stevex6 and 12 others like this.
  20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Augustus (27 BC-14 AD)
    AR Tetradrachm
    Syria-Antiochia ad Orontem
    O: KAIΣAPOΣ ΣEB_AΣTOY, Laureate head right
    R: ETOYΣ-ZK-NIKHΣ, Tyche seated right on rocks, palm branch in left hand, river god Orontes swimming right below, YPA monogram, IB / ANT monogram in right field Regnal Year 27 (5/4 BC), COS 12.
    27mm
    14.06g
    Prieur 51; RPC 4152; McAlee 181
    Ex David Hendin, 2004

[​IMG]
    KINGS of THRACE, Sapaian. Rhoemetalces I, with Pythodoris, Augustus, and Livia (Late 1st century BC-AD)
    Æ 27
    O: Heads of Augustus, laureate, and Livia, conjoined right; to right, capricorn right, holding globe.
    R: Diademed head of Rhoemetalces and draped bust of Pythodoris, conjoined right.
    27mm
    13.8g
    Youroukova 182-4, 186; RPC I 1708

[​IMG]
    Augustus, with Gaius Caesar, ( 27 B.C - 14 A.D.)
    Phrygia, Apamea.
    Gaius Masonius Rufus, Magistrate
    Ӕ20
    O: ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΣ, laureate head right.
    R: ΓΑΙΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ ΓΑΙΟΣ ΜΑΣΩΝΙΟΣ ΡΟΥΦΟΣ ΑΠAΜΕΩΝ, Gaius Caesar in facing quadriga.
    20mm
    4.46g
    RPC 3129

[​IMG]
    Tiberius (14 - 34 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    EGYPT, Alexandria
    O: [TI]BERIOS KAISAR SEBASTOS, laureate head of Tiberius right; LID (date) in right field.
    R: QEOS SEBASTOS, radiate head of Augustus left.
    EGYPT, Alexandria Mint, year 14=27/28 A.D.
    13.43g
    23mm
    RPC I 5090; Milne 54; Emmett 61

Orfew, dlhill132, stevex6 and 14 others like this.
  21. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

y'all seen him before...

AuggieTycheC2.jpg

Orfew, dlhill132, stevex6 and 14 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted