Augustus Denarius (might be my new favorite)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Jan 22, 2018.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice!

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice score, DR. It's a great type and still on my want list. For the moment, I only have Valerian's low budget version from ~250 years later.

Valerian - Two Emperors 431.jpg
    VALERIAN
    AE/Billon Antoninianus. 3.38g, 20.8mm. Antioch mint, AD 257. RIC V 277 (scarce). O: IMP VALERIANVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right. R: PM TRP V COS IIII PP, Valerian and Gallienus standing face to face; resting two shields and two upright spears between them.

LaCointessa, Ajax, ominus1 and 7 others like this.
  4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Cool addition @Deacon Ray, common yes, but every collector wants one I guess, so many will envy yours

[​IMG]
    ROMAN EMPIRE, AUGUSTUS Denarius, RIC 207 Rome mint, 2 BC
    CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE, Laureate head of Augustus right
    AVGVSTI F COS DESIG PRINC IVVENT, Caius and Lucius holding shields and spears
    3,65 gr
    Ref : RCV # 1597, Cohen # 43, RIC # 207

Q

LaCointessa, Ajax, TIF and 8 others like this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Nice one D Ray.. and others posted too... it's a must for silver of the 12 Caesars.. augustus denari 001.JPG augustus denari 002.JPG

LaCointessa, Ajax, TIF and 7 others like this.
  6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Same here, @Smojo ! I'm still being haunted by the ghost of Christmas Presents :greedy:

ominus1 likes this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

ghost of xmas present.jpg

Johndakerftw and Deacon Ray like this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin Deacon Ray, and another brilliant presentation.

Deacon Ray and LaCointessa like this.
  9. Lovely coin. I've only had 1 Augustus Denarius; though it was recently sold. Mine had the bull on the back

I've always leaned toward the Tribute Penny being Tiberius. A few reasons:
    The obvious
    - Tiberius was Caesar and Augustus had been dead for 16-18 years.
    - It's hard to render something to someone when they're dead (though I know for the sake of Jesus' argument, the coin could have been anyone that represented Imperial Rome, back to Julius.)
    - In the Mark 12, the question from the Pharisees is ".... Is it lawful to pay a poll-tax to Caesar, or not?" With Tiberius being the subject (Caesar) and Jesus asking to take a look at the coin in which Caesar demands as a tax; it only makes sense to conclude that Tiberius would be the bust upon the Denarius, as the answer is the same and Tiberius was already part of the subject matter.

The not so obvious:
    - It seems, historically and numismatically, that the only person referred to as Caesar, save Julius, was the man currently in the position. I can't think of any "DIVVS" denarii or AEs where the deceased have been referred to as Caesar in any capacity. Sometimes AVG, but never CAES.
    - In most cases of "DIVVS" denarii, the laurel wreath is removed. Most are bare head or radiate. The only Divus denarii I can think of where the deceased emperor retains the laureate bust are Vespasian & Claudius. I'm not sure if the Laureate bust is synonymous with the title, Caesar, but believe it should be entered into the argument as symbolism that their duty as Caesar and being referred to as such, is over.

Just thinking out loud. I'm sure their are a few anomalies that invalidate the last two arguments. I would be glad if it were the Lugdunum denarius; so those prices could be artificially inflated and maybe the Tiberius denarius would come back below $300.

- Michael

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted