Augustus denarius - authentication help

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by POCAS, Jan 15, 2019.

1. POCAS

POCAS New Member

Here is an denarius of augustus I bought recently from a reputable dealer. Weight is 3.52grams

First, the coin did not ring like silver when dropped, and when I compared to sound it made to my other denarius, it did make different sound . it may be crystallized, but I am not sure.

I am also suspicious that it can be tooled. especially hair part.

And there is banker's mark on both side, I think mark on obverse is Ok, but F mark on reverse is not familiar to me. I have not seen that type of banker's mark before.

The diameter and weight, the maximum diameter is 22mm and weight is 3.52g. Is not it a little bit low weight and wide flan for augustus denarius?

And the last, How do you think about appearance? I mean, can you sure its authenticity when you see it first time? I think potrait and letter is too sharp.

Any comment can help me. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Bing and cmezner like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Mine has an F bankers mark on my obverse.
    CollageMaker_20181219_230423053.jpg

4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I don't see any tooling. The OP coin looks genuine to me. The second picture (obverse only) makes it look polished or rubbed after the first picture (both sides) was taken. What has happened to the nice toning of the first picture? Did you "clean" it? If the toned picture was taken first and the second picture followed some cleaning, the cleaning was, in my opinion, a mistake.

For all of you lurkers: Don't rub, polish, or clean nice coins to make them "better" (unless you a very experienced collector and know what you are doing). Almost every attempt to clean already-nice coins makes them worse.

5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Please don't go dropping ancient coins to test them for authenticity. You said it yourself, it might be crystallized so it's a useless test anyways and if it is crystalline there's a chance you'll break it.

Oldhoopster and Justin Lee like this.
  6. POCAS

POCAS New Member

Thank you for comment. I did not clean it on purpose. I just hold it in my hand and rubbed with my fingers.

7. POCAS

POCAS New Member

Yes, it has. Thank you!

8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

You have an awesome coin! Reference is RIC I (second edition) 42A, mint: Caesaragusta , Lusitania 19 - 20 BC.

If you take a look at http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.1(2).aug.42A the first coin displayed also weights 3.52 g. Don't think it is tooled. Compare the hair shown on your coin with those on coins at numismatics.org. I have seen many Augustus coins on which the hair looks like on your coin. I myself have one of these, but it is RIC 42 B, head to the left. (Haven't taken a picture yet).

Regarding your question:

My humble and very personal advice: enjoy your coin, rest assured, and I think that maybe many of us really cannot be 100% sure of the authenticity of the coins we have?

If you want to be sure maybe you could send it to a grading service?

9. POCAS

POCAS New Member

Thank you for kind comment! So you think that it is pure silver?

Grading service. Yes I will consider it.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like the portrait in the OP coin. Looks like good metal as well.

11. POCAS

POCAS New Member

Thank you. Yes, it might be crystallized. But I am not sure. Do you think, by picture, it is silver at least?

12. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I see nothing wrong with the coin from the pictures.

13. cmezner

It is RIC I 42 A, Denarius, therefore Silver. :) How much % - ? Don't know and I have not found any reference that says the %. Maybe some of the members of the ancient coins forum can answer this question ?

14. cmezner

Although I found this at wikipedia: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Denarius
    but it doesn't help much to say the %:
    "The denarius began to undergo slow debasement toward the end of the republican period. Under the rule of Augustus (31 BC-AD 14) its silver content fell to 3.9 grams (a theoretical weight of 1⁄84 of a Roman pound). It remained at nearly this weight until the time of Nero (AD 37–68), when it was reduced to 1⁄96 of a pound, or 3.4 grams."

15. cmezner

Found it in the same reference, wikipedia:
    95–98% in 44 BC. Then, under Tiberius 97.5–98% and under Nero 93.5%

Hope this helps you

Justin Lee likes this.
  16. POCAS

POCAS New Member

I know denarius of augustus is almost pure silver.

What I meant was 'my coin in the picture' is real silver or not.

Anyway, you helped me alot. Thank you! :)

cmezner likes this.
  17. POCAS

POCAS New Member

Thank you for your opinion. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted