Augusti of the Tetrarchy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IMP Shogun, Nov 12, 2020.

1. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I'm looking for your suggestions on types of coins minted during the late Roman Tetrarchy period in the names of the Augusti. I've posted, or in some cases purchased from members of the forum so they may be going on a third or fourth life. I'm particularly interested in suggestions for the fellas in bold:

Diocletian 284–305 A.D.
    Maximianus 287–305 A.D.
    Constantius I 305–306 A.D.
    Galerius 305–311 A.D.
    Maxentius (Italy) 306–312 A.D.

Constantine I 307–337 A.D.
    Licinius 308–324 A.D. follis,
    Maximinus Daia 310–313 A.D.

[​IMG]
    Diocletian 284–305 A.D.
    follis (for lack of a better word) RIC VI 29a Ticinium
    Genius standing left, modius on head, with patera and cornucopia. Mintmark PT. 28.5mm on an oval flan, 10.1g.

This is a less common of a common type, but for that oval flan and letter crowding this would be one of my favorite. Diocletian has very attractive other types of coins such as an argenteus or a strike representing events.

[​IMG]
    Maximianus 287–305 A.D.,
    follis RIC VI 25 Lundinium
    IMP MAXIMANVS P F AVG / GENIO POPVLI ROMANI
    Genius standing left, modius on head, holding patera and cornucopiae, no altar or mint marks. 28mm 6.53g

The first run of these guys was steady, Genius is appropriate...for now.

[​IMG]
    Constantine I 307–337 A.D. follis RIC VII 4 Lugdunum
    IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG / SOLI INVICTO COMITI
    Sol standing left, raising hand and holding globe. 21.5mm 4.56g

Horde coin that retains great detail, although there are some legend issues.

[​IMG]
    Licinius 308–324 A.D. follis RIC 73 Thessalonica
    IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG / IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGGG mintmark: TSA
    Jupiter standing left, holding Victory. 23mm 3.3g.

Well struck reverse; a lot going on as Licinius is trying to look Presidential.

As you can see when left up to me I tend to compile very similar looking coins, so the ones I get next will have to make up some variety. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

Okay here are my thoughts for "thematic" coins for the Tetrarchs you have in bold.

Constantius had a special connection to London. He was made an emperor for the express purpose of bringing Britain back into the Empire. Get a London mint coin for him.

Galerius won big military victories in the East and was the initial architect of the Great Persecution. Get something from an eastern mint for him, like Cyzicus or Siscia.

Maxentius was making the case for the City of Rome and Italy as the real capitals of the empire, so get one of his coins that has symbols of the city - the Dioscuri or Wolf and Twins.

Maximinus Daia get one of the coins that have him as Filius Augustorum (FIL AVGG) to represent the awkward attempts Galerius made to appease everybody who thought he had a claim to the empire. @Valentinian has a good article on these on his website I think. Or for him you could try to get one of the "civic pagan" coins to represent his attempts to continue the persecution even though it was becoming increasingly obvious that it wasn't working.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Constantius I died not long after he became Augustus so his coins as Caesar will be a lot more easily found.
    ru3930bb1502.jpg

ominus1, Edessa, IMP Shogun and 3 others like this.
  5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

IMP Shogun, It looks like you've got some nice examples already :). If this era is of great interest to you try working on a theme, for instance, get examples from the 1st Tetrarchy emperors & follow-up with the 2nd Tetrarchy. Get examples with different obverse & reverse designs. If one mint is of special interest focus on that one. I've been collecting Diocletian era folles for a long time & have lately been focusing on the London Mint.

Gavin Richardson and IMP Shogun like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

These coins are great. Those massive coins must be so impressive in hand!

7. Al Kowsky

IMP Shogun, After browsing through my archives I spotted a high grade example of your RIC VI 25, that I bought from a Freeman & Sear Auction #14, lot 472, 13 years ago :jawdrop:.

2491170-019, AK Collection.jpg

8. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

don't forget about Severus II...though it's pretty easy to.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  9. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I like the simple Wikipedia timeline here .. helps me visualize the progression. I've been collecting a few this year:

Tet1.JPG.png
    Tet2.png
    Tet3.png

Here is a Diocletian I purchased this year... quick vid.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..kool aim....i'm looking to get a Constantius Chlorus for this set, either as Caesar.. or Augustus 3 of the 4 tetrachy 001.JPG

11. IMP Shogun

That Diocletian is one of the first ancient coins I acquired, which means I was solely focused on how cool the coin would look in my hand. I've been collecting a coin from each Imperial ruler with some caveats, but as you can see when I do come across a LRB I tend to like coins that resemble my first purchase.
    Detail of the portrait is quite nice. It's also amazing that 2007 was that long ago.

Valentinian likes this.
  12. Al Kowsky

When you're 72 years old 2007 wasn't that long ago :smuggrin:....

Broucheion likes this.
  13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Time dilation is interesting. In 2007 I was half the age I am now, so it’s literally a lifetime ago.

14. Al Kowsky

V.C., Severus is easy to overlook because his folles aren't nearly a plentiful as other Diocletian era folles. I've only managed to add 3 of his coins in many years of collecting. My favorite is pictured below. The portrait is stunning even though the coin is marred by porosity.

Severus II, follis, AD 305-6.jpg
    Severus II as Caesar. AD 305-306, Lyon Mint, 1st Officina. AE Follis: 28 mm, 8.41 gm, 11h. RIC VI 199a. Ex White Mountain Collection.

15. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wonderful portrait!

I grabbed a $20? filler for now.. will upgrade when the opportunities arrives eventually.

upload_2020-11-13_1-9-55.png

16. IMP Shogun

Victor Clark as in the Vcoins shop? You have a nice selection of coins. I realized I had a few coins in the cart for a while (that I ended up not buying), in hindsight I realize that must be annoying to the vendor.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

DAIA

upload_2020-11-13_6-16-9.png
    RI Maximinus II Daia 305-308 CE Folles AE 26mm Trier mint GENIO POPV-LI Genius-Serapis stndg RIC VI Treveri 667b

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Diocletian Diocletian 7.jpg

Maximianus
    Maximianus 8a.jpg

Constantine I
    Constantine I 24.jpg

Licinius
    Licinius I 7.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted