August 1923-J German Notgeld.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by alurid, Feb 13, 2019.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I recently acquired these two coins. I have not been able to find much information about these. I have read a bit of German history, and the need for such coins.
    https://www.britannica.com/place/Germany/Years-of-crisis-1920-23.
    Link for anyone with the interest .I always knew there was a reason why the Russians got to Sack Berlin at the end of WW2. And after doing some research for these coins I have a better picture of what that reason is. And why WW2 even started.
    I think these may be the only coin that had to have the Month on the coin so there value could be adjusted accordingly. They are the only coins that I have seen or read about that have the Month of production on them. These coins are made of aluminum and are in MS condition. The condition may be because of their very short life span and quick devaluation. Most of the money of the time was printed on paper due to it's quick devaluation an ease of production.
    If anyone has information or just comment on these coins, I would welcome your input. Thanks for reading. Coins are the Keys that open the doors of History.
    20190213_185156.jpg 20190213_185224.jpg 20190213_174106.jpg 20190213_174031.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Chris B and alurid like this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Or take the Vatican 1978 Vacant See issues. Because two popes died in the same year, the second Sede Vacante coin says SEPTEMBER MCMLXXVIII ...

But yes, such dates are rare. Hamburg had two denominations in that time - the two you show us - which were issued by the city and state government. Three others were issued by the Hamburgische Bank and, as the coins say, "authorized by the senate". (See here for example.) Now those three are the other extreme so to say - strictly speaking, they have no date at all. :)

Oh, and the "J" is the mintmark of the Hamburg mint. They still make coins there ...

Christian

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    alurid and Numismat like this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Thanks for info and link. I have one of the Verrechnung-mark coins.
    The 1/100 denomination. Did not know there were two others.
    The link said "Emergency Money" for local market.
    20190214_155943.jpg 20190214_155956.jpg

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Right, those were notgeld issues as well, but "post-inflation" pieces. The issuing bank (Hamburgische Bank von 1923 AG) was founded by more than 100 companies - mostly banks but others too - in the Hamburg area, in order to stabilize the political and economic situation in mid-October '23. And it worked; this was stable money again. Regional only though - in the rest of Germany the hyperinflation ended in mid-November ...

Christian

alurid likes this.
  8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. You made it easier to understand the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted