August 18th: Death of DECENTIUS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

13049140-6FCD-40B9-A03A-0A8E21390A29.jpeg
    Capitoline Museum Rome

When Magnence took power in Autun in January 350 AD, he drove out then had Constant I killed and became the only emperor in the prefecture of Gaul and in Italy. In 351 he appointed his brother or cousin Magnus Decentius, Caesar, with the mission of defending the Rhine limes. In 352 Magnus Decentius was made consul with Magnentius.
    Then in 353, Magnus Decentius failed to contain an invasion of the Franks who, at the request of Constance II, attacked the Rhine files to divide the army of the two usurpers. Defeated at the battle of Mons Seleucus , he went to Treveri, but he was refused access. He then took refuge in Sens and, learning of the defeat and suicide of his brother in Lugdunum (Lyon), hanged himself on August 18.

The workshops which minted coins for Magnentius and Decentius are Amiens (created by him),Arles, Aquileia, Lyon, Rome, Treveri and Siscia during the period from August to September 351 AD. This is my only specimen of this usurper.

78A8A8B7-4E09-4C38-AF05-DCE63CBE8A5C.jpeg

The reverse VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET CAES (Victori Dominorum Nostrorum Augusti et Caesari) meaning For the Victories of our Auguste and Caesar, was used by the 2 men. The two Victories are holding a wreath inscribed VOT V / MVLT X (Votis Quinquennalibus Multis Decennalibus )- vows (prayers) on the fifth anniversary [of the emperors rule], more for his [hoped for] tenth anniversary. This type was struck at all mints in Gaul and Italy, and since all major varieties are present at Rome and Aquileia, we may conclude that the type had ceased to be produce by September 352 AD, by which date Constantius had reoccupied Italy. There are three main variants of the general type, the order of which is established by certainty by internal criteria at each mint :

1)the vota wreath and the shield are supported on a column.

2)there is no column.

3)the vota wreath is surmounted by a Chistogram.

So on the day he died over 16 centuries ago, please show us your coins of this "rarely remembered" emperor : Decentius.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Decentius 2.jpg
    DECENTIUS
    AE Centenionalis
    OBVERSE: D N DECENTIVS NOB CAES, cuirassed bust right, G behind
    REVERSE: VICT DD NN AVG ET CAES, two Victories standing facing each other holding shield inscribed VOT/V/MVLT/X, RS in ex.
    Struck at Rome, 350-3 AD
    3.6 g, 21mm
    RIC 215,G

4. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Here's a coin of your 2nd type (no column) from Trier mint:
    Decentius Treveri Follis.jpg
    Decentius, Caesar, AD 350/1-353, Æ Treveri (Trier) mint, 2nd officina, 5th emission, AD 351-352.
    Obv: D N DECENTI-VS FORT CAES, draped and cuirassed bust right; A to left
    Rev: VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET CAE, two Victories standing facing one another, holding wreath inscribed with VOT/V/MVLT/X in four lines; TRS
    Ref: RIC VIII 314

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

1 Trier rx7165bb3202.jpg

2 Lugdunum (Lyon)
    rx7160bb1103.jpg

3 Arles
    rx7135fd3164.jpg

We should also mention there are Chi-Rho types for Decentius. Unfortunately, mine are low grade and hard to read.
    rx7140bb0693.jpg rx7150bb1078.jpg

When reading low end coins of Decentius and Magnentius, it can help to play 'count the bumps. There are 9 letters in Decentius and 10 in Magnentius. The last 6 are the same for both so you can ID coins by seeing how many bumps show even if all are unclear. The coin below is barbarous so we can't expect rules to be followed. EN--TIVS is clear so the question is whether the letter before the E is a C or and N. There are no official falling horsemen of Decentius but that did not bother the makers of this coin. Neither did they care that he was not AVGustus. Anything goes on barbarous coins.
    rx7167fd3400.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Sulla80, Edessa, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Arles mint, A.D. 351-353
    Obv: D N DECENTI-VS CAESAR
    Rev: VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET CAES - Two Victories, facing each other, holding shield inscribed VOT/V/MVLT/X in four lines
    FSAR in exergue
    RIC 168
    21-24mm, 4.5g

7. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

wGb7Yk4bz2SdMyq8r3LfEoj56Wt3s9.jpg

Decentius
    A.D. 350- 353
    18mm 4.3gm
    D N DECENTI-VS NOB CAES; bare-headed & cuirassed bust right.
    SALVS DD NN AVG ET CAES; large Chi-Rho flanked by A-W; S/✶ across fields.
    RIC VIII Lyons 171, 173, or 175.

8. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

I have 2:
    upload_2020-8-18_6-59-1.png
    DECENTUIS Caesar 350-353 Ae Ambianum Abv D N DECENTIVS NOB DAES Rev VICTORIIAE DD NN AVG E CAE /S-V/P palm HMB palm Two Victories standing facing one another holdiing a wreath inscribed VOT/V/MVLT/X and set upon a column

upload_2020-8-18_6-59-47.png
    Decentius, as Caesar, Æ Centenionalis. Treveri, AD 351-352. D N DECENTIVS FORT CAES, bare headed, draped and cuirassed bust right, A behind / VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET CAES, two Victories holding wreath inscribed VOT V MVLT X in four lines; TRS in exergue. RIC 313. 4.45g, 24mm, 6h.

9. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

it's a nice unofficial issue. I posted about it when it was sold a few years ago. The seller thought it was an official unpublished variant.

the old listing--

"DN DECENTIVS NOB CAES / VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET CAE /
    on shield: VOT V MVLT X / in field: SV / in ex.: palmbranch AMB palmbranch.
    Grade: uncircluated; dark gray-brown patina.
    Reference: RIC VIII, Amiens 12 var (bust type, field marks & mintmark). Unpublished variant."

10. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A very informative post - thank you for that, Ocat.

I found this in an undescribed eBay lot - my only Decentius, a no-column type:

Decentius - AE 2 Victories  Mar 2020 (0).jpg

Decentius Æ Centenionalis
    (351-352 A.D.)
    Lugdunum (Lyons) Mint

DN DECENTIVS NO[B CA]ES, bare-headed, cuirassed bust right / VICTORIAE DD NN AVG [ET CAE], two Victories standing with wreath with VOT V MVLT X in four lines; SP//RSLG.
    RIC Lyons 137; Bastien 177.
    (4.83 grams / 20 mm)

11. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

Since I only collect larger Roman bronzes, here is my only Decentius. 48----Decentius Md 17'2  8645   Ge5 (=NAC 12000).jpg

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool write up and great coins, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix on that Decenti-Who guy! Thanks. Fun to fill in the obscure blanks.

Decentius:
    [​IMG]
    RI Decentius 350-353 CE AE19 VOT V

Draft saved Draft deleted