Auctions on Super Bowl Sunday

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Old Error Guy, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

Thare are a couple of coins that have my interest that are up for auction this Sunday. I wonder if the game makes a difference or do coin geeks just live in a different world?

IanC likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

With today's technology you could probably do both at the same time. But hey, it's Superbowl Sunday and my attention will be on the game.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. IanC

IanC Numismatist

Up for auction where? Personally, I don't care about sports, so if I was part of the auction, the Super Bowl would make absolutely no difference to me. In fact, until this post, I didn't even know the Super Bowl was on Sunday :facepalm:

5. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Same I would rather do coins than a football game. My unpopular opinion is that pro sports are overrated.

PlanoSteve, Mountain Man and chascat like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Who cares about football, especially with what has been taking place? I'll be doing the coins as is have an auction ending.

PlanoSteve, Mountain Man and chascat like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yea, Pats!

Chris

Taurus57 likes this.
  8. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Since the Bears aren't playing I'll be watching the coin auctions.

JPeace$ and LA_Geezer like this.
  9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

And my Saints were robbed of their rightful place in that game. I might as well watch some MS-13 gang members beat up and molest my sister as watch a rigged football game.

Besides, if the Rams bring their Refs from California as they did in the NFC Championship, the upset is just a foregone conclusion.

10. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Okaaaaayyyy. Thats a bit extreme.

Razz, JPeace$, Dynoking and 5 others like this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! And, I was drafted in 1969 and didn't get to join the NASA program via the Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland.

Get over it!

Chris

Nathan401, charlietig and Taurus57 like this.
  12. Keith Twitchell

Keith Twitchell Active Member

Speaking as another Saints fan, I would rather stick needles in my eyes than watch the Illegitimate Bowl. I think Sunday evening is an ideal time to bid in auctions, catch up on that collection organizing you've been putting off -- or come to New Orleans for our fabulous Boycott Bowl street party!

13. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

My older brother had a job interview with North American Rockwell in the summer of 1968 after he got his EE degree. He wanted to work in the aerospace industry. When they asked him what his draft number was they told him "contact us in a couple of years".

14. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I watch college football, but the NFL is a total joke. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. The year that they shafted Tebow was the year I quit watching the NFL for good. I actually despise the NFL. Never, ever again. Unless, of course, they re-sign Tebow.

They all are. Sports serve the masses as an elaborate distraction from the reality of what is going on in the world.

Agreed.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: There's some BRILLIANT sarcasm and banter being thrown around in this thread! I died reading this.

Again. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Collecting Nut and TyCobb like this.
  15. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

I’ll restate - is it a good time for bargain hunting?

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...uh...what game?

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Thou doest protest too much :) Auctiions are fixed and illegitmate also

wxcoin likes this.
  18. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Like missing that field goal and throwing that interception had nothing to do with the outcome..

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

From my experiences the past few years, it hasn't made much of a difference. With sniping programs on eBay, people can set up their max bids ahead of time and not have to be near their computer. Others might also just throw in their max number early so that they don't have to worry about the coin during the game.

You may be able to find some auctions that go under the radar, but in general any PQ coins will most likely sell for around the same amount as usual.

132andBush likes this.
  20. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I love the game. If there is a local school playing near, I'll go watch game, love college ball also as the rules do not allow unsportsmanlike conduct. But the pros will have me boiling within 10 minutes of turning on the TV. Quit watching them years ago and haven't missed a thing.

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It depends on the material. Things that generally appeal more to the younger collecting crowd will likely take a hit, but premium hard to find stuff will still get the bids. Anyone smart will just put their bids in before the game especially if they're going to be partying.

College football is by far and away my favorite and really can't stand the NFL anymore but college takes that rule a little to far. Part of what makes rivalries so good is the trash talking and intensity and some show boating comes along with that.

1916D10C likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted