Auction wins: JC, Domitian, and Tiberius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I could not wait to post these wins from Naville Numismatics latest auction. I cannot wait to get them.

I have always wanted a JC elephant denarius. I know they are common but they are interesting too. I love the provenance on this one too-E. E. Clain-Stefanelli

sale 25 lot 378 NN Caesar elephant.jpg

I have also like a particular denarius of Domitian for a while and I loved the portrait on this one.

domit lot 430 NN.jpg

And last but not least is an upgrade to my existing 2 quadriga coins of tiberius.

NN tiberius lot 047 auction 25.jpg

Please post any related coins or any wins from this auction.

Eng, rrdenarius, Cucumbor and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice wins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Excellent! I really like Naville and have purchased many coins from them this year. The fall of the pound against the dollar has certainly boosted my enthusiasm, plus Naville often has very interesting provincials. The coins are not generally not in great condition but that's okay.

I bid on four and won two today (my main targets), and for well under what I was willing to spend. Happy day!!

GregH, Deacon Ray, Carthago and 7 others like this.
  5. Orfew

Congrats @TIF
    Please post your wins if you can. I would love to see them.

paschka likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I usually wait until they are in hand. At the risk of angering the Postal Deities, here they are. They'll get better photos once the coins are in hand, and probably separate writeups :)

I picked up a couple of wonderful Roman Egyptian coins.

[​IMG]
    Domitian obol; Isis Thermouthis standing erect right. Emmett 321.10, R5. I love uniquely Egyptian iconography on Roman coins and finding an Isis Thermouthis was unexpected and very welcome! None in CNG or acsearch.

[​IMG]
    Antoninus Pius obol; sphinx crouching left, in the pose of the Great Sphinx of Giza. He struck these in five separate years, four with the sphinx right, one with sphinx left. All are extremely rare. This one was struck in regnal year 20 and is unlisted in Emmett. I have one other "Great Sphinx" coin from Roman Egypt, a somewhat nicer obol of Marcus Aurelius. It took a long time to find that one and I was very happy to get one for A-Pi as well! :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Eng, Deacon Ray, stevex6 and 17 others like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Whoa cool auction scores everyone!

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, agreed with @TIF... I do not want to tempt fate, or tick off Karma! :D

But, I was frustrated that a couple of my targets went CRAZY on bidding...I opted to let them go instead of getting my hackles up and bidding for a ridiculous win.

I did win this little guy... One of my daughters LOVES pigs ever since she was a child, but my two Grandkids by her are not pig lovers:

upload_2016-9-25_17-38-40.png
    Roman Republic
    Victoriatus circa 206-195,
    AR 16.5mm., 2.61g.
    Obv: Laureate head of Jupiter r.
    Rev: Victory crowning trophy; in centre field, sow r. and in exergue, ROMA. Ref: Sydenham 253. Russo RBW 554. Crawford 121/1.

About Very Fine.

Privately purchased from L. Simonetti Firenze. - From the E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection.

Deacon Ray, stevex6, Carthago and 7 others like this.
  10. Orfew

@Alegandron

I am glad you got that one. I had my cursor on the bid now button in the last moments of that auction.

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Orfew

Wow @TIF

Those are great. I love the sphinx.

Deacon Ray and TIF like this.
  12. Alegandron

THANK YOU! I was over at 2 other ones that I really wanted. But they kept getting bid UP and UP. Compared to several similar lots, they bid really high. So I KNEW I had the hot ones. Just did not want to burn up my cash, so, with a LOT of discipline, I reluctantly backed away...

Orfew likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Hey @TIF... this is the ONLY sphinx that I have. I was interested in yours, but was busy getting my as-whoopped on a couple other cool coins... :D :D :D

Egypt SCARAB Middle Kingdom 2065-1650 BCE Scarabeaus Sphinx O-R.jpg
    Egypt SCARAB Middle Kingdom 2065-1650 BCE Scarabeaus Sphinx O-R.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Eng, Deacon Ray, stevex6 and 11 others like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's a very cool scarab!

I'm really glad you weren't bidding on the A-Pi :).

15. Alegandron

I have a REALLY bad habit of keying on ones I want, and they become mine in my head. Then the bidding can get brutal... LOL, I have been very happy with my auction purchases in the past EVEN though I may have gotten a bit too exuberant. LOL. I saw yours for as exactly you did: that sphinx was cool on your A-Pi... BUT, you know I am one of those boring Republic guys, so RI bidding is very limited for me. :D Congrats, very very nice capture!!!

Carthago, Orfew and TIF like this.
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice captures, Orfew. I particularly like the Domitian... one of those Flavian wolf-and-twins is on my want list. The engraver really looks like he was going for a Young Vespasian with that portrait.

I've had some great captures at Naville auctions this year, but somehow completely missed today's. Bummer!

17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

:wideyed:
    I think I'm going to eternally covet your Isis Thermouthis!

Deacon Ray and TIF like this.
  18. Orfew

Thanks @zumbly
    The youthfullness of the portrait is what attracted me as well.

19. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Congratulations to everyone on some great scores! There's nothing like winning.

winning.jpg

20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh yeah, nice coin scores everyone!

i picked up a few coins today as well....low end stuff, your buyers fees probably cost more than my coins...lol.

21. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

I snagged a couple from Naville today as well - they always seem to have interesting Alexandrian material. I have a soft spot for the Severans in general and Severus Alexander in particular - see below a tet and a denarius - both somewhat worn and the denarius perhaps with worn dies as well but interesting to me. These two were produced within a year or two of each other (223 - 225 AD) but the tet portrait shows what could be a much more accurate picture of the emperor while the denarius is the 3rd century version of photoshop. He was born in 208 AD so that would make him 15 - 17 when these coins were issued (the tet being the later issue coin). I guess it is possible he hit the gym before the denarius was done and then let himself go but at that age living a life of luxury I'm going with the pudgy tet portrayal.

There was another more worn tet for him in the same auction where he really looks like a child.

All great coins above in this thread! Severus Alexander denarius.jpg Severus Alexander tet.jpg

Eng, Okidoki, Deacon Ray and 11 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted