Auction win Francis I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Just won this in a Canadian auction. I have wanted a piece of French hammered gold for a while and I really liked the look of this one. Now the waiting begins.

From Wikipedia:
    Francis I (French: François Ier) (12 September 1494 – 31 March 1547) was the first King of France from the Angoulême branch of the House of Valois, reigning from 1515 until his death. He was the son of Charles, Count of Angoulême, and Louise of Savoy. He succeeded his cousin and father-in-law Louis XII, who died without a son.

A prodigious patron of the arts, he initiated the French Renaissance by attracting many Italian artists to work on the Château de Chambord, including Leonardo da Vinci, who brought the Mona Lisa with him, which Francis had acquired. Francis' reign saw important cultural changes with the rise of absolute monarchy in France, the spread of humanism and Protestantism, and the beginning of French exploration of the New World. Jacques Cartierand others claimed lands in the Americas for France and paved the way for the expansion of the first French colonial empire.

For his role in the development and promotion of a standardized French language, he became known as le Père et Restaurateur des Lettres (the "Father and Restorer of Letters").[1] He was also known as François du Grand Nez ("Francis of the Large Nose"), the Grand Colas, and the Roi-Chevalier (the "Knight-King")[1] for his personal involvement in the wars against his great rival the Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain Charles V.

Following the policy of his predecessors, Francis continued the Italian Wars. The succession of Charles V to the Burgundian Netherlands, the throne of Spain, and his subsequent election as Holy Roman Emperor, meant that France was geographically encircled by the Habsburg monarchy. In his struggle against Imperial hegemony, he sought the support of Henry VIII of England at the Field of the Cloth of Gold. When this was unsuccessful, he formed a Franco-Ottoman alliance with the Muslim sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, a controversial move for a Christian king at the time.

220px-Francis1-1.jpg

And here is my coin of Sulayman

Sulayman New.jpeg

Please post your favourite hammered coins.

France; François I gold Écu d'or au soleil. Attractive lustrous issue Nice lustre with minor nick and scratch. 3,3gr ,917 gold. The Canadian Numismatic Auction Company. November 2017 public TOREX Auction, Lot 518

518 Francis I.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Jwt708, TheRed and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Beautiful coin and nice write-up!

Orfew and panzerman like this.
  4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Nice catch Andrew! Always nice to get gold.

Orfew and panzerman like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice one. I can add a silver.

[​IMG]
    François Ier (1515 - 1521 A.D.)
    Blanc à la couronne
    O: FRANCISCVS FRANCORVM REX, écu de France entre trois couronnes, dans un trilobe.
    R: DSIT NOMEN DNI BENEDICTVM, croix cantonnée de deux lis et de deux couronnes, dans un quadrilobe.
    24mm
    2.48g
    Duplessy 835

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Francis got clobbered at the Battle of Pavia by German Holy Roman Emperor Karl V in 1525. The Imperial forces added by Spanish and German troops ended the Italian campaign. Here is my Karl V coin....ex: Morton&Eden auction
    AV Reale d'or ND Antwerpen Mint 26mm. 5.89g./crude strike as usual:(:(:(:(:(
    Spanish Netherlands/ Duchy of Barbant
    Karl V 47d3422498f66d8bae32d89192d835d0.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Jwt708, TheRed and 7 others like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool write up and Ecu @Orfew !

Me: So few from this time period and / or "hammered"

Suleyman
    upload_2017-11-18_20-36-4.png
    Ottoman Empire Suleiman the Magnificent 1520-1566 AV Sultani CE Constantinople mint 1520 19mm 3.5g

Ivan the Terrible
    upload_2017-11-18_20-38-49.png
    RUSSIA Ivan IV The Terrible 1533-1584 AR Denga Moscow mint Horseman riding right brandishing sword - Inscription in lines G&K 59 Rare type

Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain
    upload_2017-11-18_20-40-54.png
    Spain - Ferdinand and Isabella AE Blanca - Granada mint 1469-1504 CE

Elizabeth of England
    England - Elizabeth I - 1558-1603 AR Shilling.JPG
    England - Elizabeth I - 1558-1603 AR Shilling

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I'm making a move on a hammered coin or two now, fingers crossed!

Another gold sweetie for @Orfew !

Here's a Hammered French colonial coin from over 200 years later.

doudou_6_zpsnlrnoqmy.jpg
    INDIA, French Pondicherry

Æ Doudou, 16mm, 4.0g, 12h; c. AD 1720-1837 Obv.: Fleur de lis. Rev.: 3-line Tamil legend, naming the mint: Pu du / ch e r / i Reference: KM 35

9. Orfew

That is a very interesting coin Chris. I wish you luck with the coins you are pursuing. I have found that my interest in these coins is growing. I will never abandon my early imperial coins, but the hammered coins are also historical.

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Much beautiful ecu of François I° you got there @Orfew (for some reason I'm partial to french coinage :) )

Here's a teston bearing his portrait ::

[​IMG]
    Francois I° (1515-1547) - Teston du Dauphiné deuxieme type Atelier de Romans (point secret sous la deuxième lettre, R couronnée au revers)
    + (triangle) FRANCISCVS.DEI.GRA.FRANCOR.REX (triangle) buste cuirassé et couronné a droite
    + (triangle) SIT.NOMEN.DNI.BENEDICTVM.R.(Mm) (triangle). Ecu ecartelé de France et Dauphiné. Grande F sur l'ecartelé (après le 8 octobre 1528, date à laquelle une lettre F brochant sur l'écartelé fut ajoutée sur les testons (source CGB VSO 09/1067))
    9,25 gr - 26/29 mm
    Ref : Ciani # 1141v

Q

11. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Fantastic cartoon-hero portrait.

panzerman likes this.
  12. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Great coin @Orfew congrats on your latest acquisition.

Orfew likes this.
  13. Orfew

Thanks @Cucumbor I love the Teston. Rarely do I see the portrait on these so well defined. I thought seriously about one of those because it has the portrait. As far as I know there are no portraits of him in gold.He is an important historical figure so he will fit into my historical figures very nicely.

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

You're right. The first realistic portrait on royal french was that of Louis XII, predecessor of François I° and on silver testons only

Not mine unfortunately :
    [​IMG]

Louis XII - 08/04/1498-31/12/1514
    Teston

Then you'll have to wait until Henri II to find a portrait of the king in gold (Henri d'or and double Henri d'or) :

Not mine either :
    [​IMG]
    HENRI II - (31/03/1547-10/07/1559)
    Double henri d'or

Q

panzerman, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  15. Orfew

I know it is not yours but wow, that Henry II is gorgeous.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted