Auction Win: 1727 Segovia 2 Reales MS66

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kazuma78, Oct 19, 2020.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I won this over the weekend at auction. I've been on the lookout for an exceptional silver piece from Segovia, Spain after visiting the city in the Spring of 2019 but have had a tough time finding a nice one that someone wasn't asking rediculous money for. The city is famous for its enormous Roman aquaduct and the mintmark on the coins minted there is an aquaduct, which I found particularly cool. Super excited to see this coin in hand!
    65205.jpeg
    65207.jpeg
    260290_full.jpg
    SPAIN, 1727 F Philip V (KM-297, Calico 961): Segovia, (Ag) 2 Reales. Fully struck and sharp details all around; silver-white colour, shimmering lustrous surfaces.
    NGC MS 66

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Puckles, talerman, Dima and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Please let us know when it arrives. I suspect it will be even nicer in hand than the photographs suggest.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. kazuma78

Looking at this and the NGC photo, this coin looks like its probably almost impossible to photograph because of the reflective surfaces and luster. I bet its blinding in hand.

Coinsandmedals and Inspector43 like this.
  5. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. I’m genuinely excited for you to get this coin in hand. You may need to dim your lights before you look at it. :)

UncleScroge and kazuma78 like this.
  6. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Gorgeous coin. I've had a couple of those on my watch lists over the past years - but never pulled the trigger. You got an amazing example. Congrats!

kazuma78 likes this.
  7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Glad you won it!! When the package arrives make sure you are wearing
    a pair of sunglasses. How does a 300 year old coin survive like that?
    Two Reals was serious money back then. Enjoy this treasure.

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If it looks anything like the pictures it's a definite exceptional win, very nice! Congratulations.

9. kazuma78

Thanks guys! Super excited on this win! The auction house had some exceptional pieces.

10. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

holy cow! Can't wait to see your pics when it comes in

kazuma78 likes this.
  11. kazuma78

Thanks!! I'll have to watch their auctions in the future. I noticed they had some really high end stuff and many pieces you hardly ever see. Some of the prices were insane though. This one went at a relatively reasonable cost, for what it is, in my opinion. There were some incredible Mexican pieces in there too and some fantastic 8R.

12. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

Yes their stuff goes for high prices. Perhaps the estimates are low but I've seen coins go for over 10x the estimate (I'm thinking they make the estimates low).

13. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Wow. What a great coin!

GniceCERT.gif

Philip V of Spain was such an important (but forgotten) figure in history. Those of us who love that period of time (War of the Spanish Succession, Queen Anne, the early Hanoverians of Britain, etc.) are always happy to see this forgotten era brought up on these boards.

Please consider a write-up on this coin and the history that it represents. Thank you for sharing.

kazuma78 likes this.
  14. kazuma78

Thanks! I'll probably eventually do a write up on it and some of the surrounding history. Not sure when though, I have a lot of coins that still need something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted