Auction tips

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinlover67, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

I think I am going to go to my first auction next week. It is a unclaimed property auction at the Il state fair. Almost all the lots are coins with a couple of key dates being offered including a PR-35 flying eagle cent. What tips do you have for a first timer?

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

keep your hands in you pockets and dont get the bidding fever

Kentucky and Mojavedave like this.
  4. Coinlover67

I plan on it there are only a couple lots I would be able to afford. It will be cool seeing what the flying eagle goes for. I also saw they are auctioning off a PCGS PR-65 J-352 pattern that hold the record for that pattern type. Will be cool to watch and see if there are enough high quality bidders to push it over $10,000

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Know what it's worth and bid accordingly (including any buyer's premium, taxes, etc.).

mlov43 likes this.
  6. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Just hope there is no one there as knowledgeable as you.

Cascade likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Don't get into a bidding war with someone bent and determined to get that coin, regardless of price.

serafino likes this.
  8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Unless, of course, you are even more bent and determined to get the coin than the other bidder.

Good advice, though. Unfortunately, there are some of us (hand raised) who make coin purchases regardless of future resale profit potential. I know I'm not gonna get rich with the coins I collect~!

9. Coinlover67

I hope, but I doubt it. All the lots were displayed at various locations this month. The FE and the Pattern are some of the featured highlights.

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The coin is only worth to you what you decide before the bidding starts . . . not after.

11. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Write down the coins you're interested in, decide the maximum bids in a advance, and stick to them once the live bidding starts. Set a maximum total you'll spend. If possible, take a computer or use your smart phone to keep track of your wins as it goes along. If there's some listed near the end that you really like, you don't want to blow your purse early on. Be careful about catching dealeritis part way through. By that I mean, you've spent the preplanned amount, but decide to keep bidding because you're pretty sure you can sell the extras at a profit.

Be especially careful of raw coins. Unclaimed property auctions are not usually run by a coin dealer or coin auction company. It's strictly buyer beware. If a coin turns out to be fake, cleaned, etc., too bad for you; they're not taking it back.

Cal

Draft saved Draft deleted