Auction Photo Help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tater, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

So I stumbled across this coin on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/1559525813...-9570-96faa349a338|iid:3|vlpname:vlp_homepage

Who thinks this type of toning is attractive? Will it be darker in hand? Does this metallic steel toning command a premium? How does a coin tone like this? You don;t see the metallic looking tone very often and its not like a rainbow tone, it almost looks like something is on the surfaces. Just curious.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

That's tarnish... not toning but then the pretty rainbows are a type of tarnish as well usually caused by contact with sulpher and as often as not darken to black over time... I like em... their pretty and all but I won't pay any premium for what is in effect the 1st stage of rot :D

Alfonso Hernandez likes this.
  4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

It's ugly and I'll tell you what I think happened to it. First of all, it's not toning, it looks like it was inside a car that had the heater on in the middle of a cold snowy night and spent a couple of days there. Result was it grabbed some moisture and condensation, in short it's ruined! :sorry:

5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

It's not the toning that makes it attractive, it's the coin.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Looks to me like the coin was much darker at one time. Think terminal toning nearly black.
    I think the coin was dipped enough to bring some brilliance to the coin but not long enough to remove the thick heavy toning around the perimeter.
    Not knowing exactly how much luster is left, I would leave it and find a different coin.

7. Alfonso Hernandez

Alfonso Hernandez ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΦΩΝΣΟΥ

Not my cup of tea but it's a matter of preference.
    For instance, I found this the other day in the dirt backyard of an old house, who knows how long it was there.
    PXL_20240409_151416874.jpg PXL_20240409_151354766.jpg
    One side it's dark grey. I think it's cool. The pic doesn't do justice ;)

8. Millard

Millard Coindog

MHO is its overpriced.

9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Looks more AU to me, but I have a feeling it looks better in hand.

10. Alfonso Hernandez

Alfonso Hernandez ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΦΩΝΣΟΥ

Another nice toned coin I have to show off ;)
    It looks much better in the hand.

PXL_20240410_032955097.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20240410_033010253.PORTRAIT.jpg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

thanks for your opinions and thoughts. The coin looked odd to me and from time to time you see a coin that has this look.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I can do without that coin in my collection. Thank you.

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Awful strike and unattractive toning with no luster showing I'd pass big time

14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Looks like an AU the TPGs call MS-62 or 61 without whatever charm is attached to such graded coins. It’s a roach motel purchase. It’s easy to check in, not easy to check out with most of your money. The poor strike argument is an excuse for San Francisco Mint coins, not Philadelphia.

Mainebill likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted