Auction of Peace Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gregg, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd be a buyer at $500, which means it's probably an insulting offer. :rolleyes:

The 1928-P has dropped quite a bit over the last few years, but I think you'll wait a long time to find one at $100 unless it's holed or otherwise grossly damaged. (This one looks cleaned/polished, but not defaced.)

I'm not able to look at the images in detail, so I don't know if the other better dates (34-S, 28-S, 27-D/S) contribute additional value. I think the asking price is quite reasonable.

Brett_in_Sacto, ddddd and Gregg like this.
  4. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Jeff,
    That sort of feedback is why I asked.
    I'm still trying to get a feel for the market.

The lowest 1928 on eBay right now is $124.00 with a hole drilled in it.
    Frankly, the one in that collection looked polished to me - which is about the same as a hole drilled in it as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for your thoughts; they help.

-Gregg

ddddd likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Just curious - does the hole completely obliterate the "8"? ;)

6. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

It was a belt buckle piece for a guy who died in a gun fight.

JAY-AR likes this.
  7. -jeffB

Checking sold auctions, and carefully weeding through all the copies, magician's coins, "forgot to mention the S", and so on, quite a few have still gone for less than $100 in the last few weeks. Patience will be key here.

To me, a hole is a much bigger deal than polish, although of course neither is a good thing. The 28-P in this collection (assuming it's a real 28-P) is in better shape than mine, which is a very harshly scrubbed VF details. It does have saving graces, though; it's apparently genuine, it's unholed, and it was effectively free...

Gregg likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

Shot through the belt
    And you're to blame
    Darlin'
    You give coins a bad name

Tater, JAY-AR, Treashunt and 3 others like this.
  9. orifdoc

orifdoc Well-Known Member

The 1924 and the 26-S don't look so terrible. The 1921 has a nice circulated look to it. Every once in a while I've found some nice coins in these sets.

Keep in mind a few hundred people have probably looked at it and decided that there isn't anything there worth their time and money at that price point. Food for thought.

10. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I find that you can learn a great deal by watching eBay.
    Sometimes you think something that is 'unbeatable' sits out there for 2 weeks with no takers.

It is a neat way to watch the market and get a feel for things.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

"You can observe a lot by just watching." - Yogi Berra

All this time I was unaware he was referring to an eBay lot.

dwhiz and JAY-AR like this.
  12. -jeffB

Looks like someone got it for $550. @Gregg?

13. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

The 34 S looked decent and adds value to the book.

Gregg likes this.
  14. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Any decent set of Peace Dollars is going to go for upwards of 600. I have a few sets - a circulated, an AU and my registry set. I just sold another circulated set to my uncle for $800 and it was a fair deal considering the VF/XF 1928 and several AU in the common dates. It's my all time favorite coin and I've studied them quite a bit.

Getting any sort of decent 1928-P for under $200 is a real challenge. The 34-S is plentiful in lower grades.

Localyokel and Gregg like this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

That registry set just be something to behold, Brett. I see my share of awesome early Peace dollars, but the later stuff just is so uninspiring on average. I love to take the chance to check out every really pretty late Peace dollar I can.

16. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Nope.

I think it was an okay deal for that but I've been spending like crazy and need to cut back until after the first of the year. :( It doesn't help that I keep accidently buying Walking Halves - all common date but so very beautiful.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Thanks, that reminds me I want to take a ride to his museum.

18. Brett_in_Sacto

Don't forget 10% Ebay fees to the seller. $50

19. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I bid what I'm willing to pay for a coin regardless of what it costs the guy on the other side. No snide intended, but fees (cost of running a shop, cost to sell at a show, etc) aren't my problem. Again, no snide intended - I don't bid to make the other guy money, I bid to save myself money.

The only time I get charitable is when a dealer takes time to teach me stuff. At that point I'll throw some purchases his way as a 'thank you' for value added.

Localyokel and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  20. Brett_in_Sacto

Agreed, however you do need to take it into account - since the seller obviously will. :)

I would have paid $550, too bad I missed out!

Cheers!

Gregg likes this.
  21. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

If I wouldn't have blown my pay check on those freakin' Walking Halves I would have probably given $550.00 as well. Walking Halves - fear them more than the Walking Dead. Irresistible.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted